Activated Charcoal

I put a half charcoal-ed log into my egg house last year. It just stays in the corner and they peck it whenever they need it. I wouldn't suggest adding it to their feed or forcing them to eat it, unless they ingested a known poison.
There may be a reason for having it as part of feed mix. Care must be taken to determine no ill effects first.

That's an interesting approach with the activated charcoal! It's great to hear how you're looking out for your chickens' well-being.

This is a common misconception that charred wood is the same as activated charcoal. Charred wood, a log that has been burned, has only gone through one step of carbonization. Activated charcoal has gone through an additional pickling and drying process that makes the activated charcoal much more porous, thus giving it the superior ability to absorb toxins. https://www.charcoalmachinery.com/differences-between-wood-charcoal-and-activated-carbon/

Charred wood does have some benefits, but not in removing toxins from their bodies.

Thank you, that's really helpful!
Would it be helpful in case of a specific emergency? Ie would it be useful to have it on hand?
I used a special pigeon charcoal pellet to address sourcrop with the support of my vet. The hen recovered well :)

Back
Top Bottom