1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Acu-Rite humidity/themometer not working? PROBLEM SOLVED

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickenPeep, Oct 1, 2011.

1. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    I went to the store today and got an Acu-Rite themometer/humidity thingy. When i thured it on, it immediately said the temp was 79 and the humidity was 16%. I put it in the 'bator and the temp went up to 99 but the humidity stayed the same. I left it there for a few minutes and no change.
    It it not working? Do i need to give it more time? Heres a pic of the thing-a-mobber. I took it out so thats why it says 86.

[​IMG]

EDIT: I got a new one after figuring i could not get it fixed. Thanks for all your help! If it werent for you guys, i would think it was right and i would keep adding water until it was a swimming pool!!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  2. Cherstin

Cherstin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    North Port, FL
    Any chance the digital readout on the first number is broken? I've never seen humidity so low. Even in real life air, you know what I mean??! Maybe it's a broken 7 or 4 or 8? That would be my first guess. 19% humidity just seems totally unnatural to me, but then again, I'm a Floridian. [​IMG]

3. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Yeah, i dont know! I really need help!!! [​IMG]

4. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Ok i read the manual. It said the average range of humidity ws 16%. Im thinking that when it first got started, it got stuck there. But i dont know! I need help!

5. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    take your battery out and replace it with a new one. I've had mine go down that low with winter hatches. You need it to be no lower then 25% for dry hatches. I usually don't let mine go below 35 and as high as 50% till day 18 then jump it up to 70-75% for last 3 days. You could calibrate it, that takes 12 to 24 hours.
    http://exoticpets.about.com/od/herpresources/ss/hygrometer.htm

6. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Quote:Ok i tried it..... Hold on ill tell you what happens in a sec.

7. Cherstin

Cherstin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    North Port, FL
    Quote:[​IMG]

8. mstricer

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Sometimes I can be so smart [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Nope, didnt work. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Anything else i can do?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  10. mstricer

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Try that web page then and calibrate it. I mark mine afterwards with the low and high range. Mine was off by 5 %. Also do you have your heat on yet, that will dry your house out fast. I don't usually turn mine on this early (due to propane prices, probably won't til mid Nov.) but some do. We just layer our clothing. But any who, try the next step calibrate, as long as you have water in the bottom (only in the middle section of plastic liner) you should be fine, for 24 hours.
    Michele

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by