Request Advice for Snowflake Bobwhite on Lockdown Right Now-Potential Problems?

quailbird

Songster
May 18, 2019
Northern Florida
On Friday, June 30, 2023, 3:27 PM, BLUE🐦QUAIL <[email protected]> wrote:

Hello, wondering if I might get some advise on my Snowflake hatch. I'm not a super experienced hatcher, but I've had several successful rounds hatching Buttons and 2 tiny rounds of Cotornix a few years ago as well as the most difficult thus far, Gambel's, which was difficult, but actually ended up quite a success.

Here's my current dilemma with two Snowflake eggs right at the end. So, I got them via USPS and let them sit blunt up x 24 hrs and turned slightly too. Then put into incubator on June 7th at 9AM and counted that as day #1.
Nature-rite Incubator set: 99.5, 40-45%- forced air, turning manually because I don't have a little turner for my Naturite 360. So turned a lot of times per day since I am always around and my house is tiny. Didn't need much time to turn since only 2 eggs.

On 20th went to lockdown and raised humidity to 60-65%, as this was about as high as I could attain, but then the atmosphere began to become muggy and I could attain 70-75%.

Very early on day 24 which is today, Friday, June 30, at about 1AM-ish both eggs gave a large PIP. Then in the morning when I got up I heard tapping. I went out and came back home and now no more tapping and no progressing with the PIP being unchanged. I just dropped the temp to 99 degrees around 3PM EDT thinking maybe too hot for them.

I am worried they just died or something or are they just resting since they did seem to be more active at night? I don't know anything about this type of bird. I don't feel confident nor do I feel I have the experience or knowledge to figure out what could be wrong, if anything. I am also thinking that maybe I should not have counted the day that I put them into the incubator as day 1 despite putting into it in the AM hour. I just don't know and I am confused and concerned for the little guys. They were so active when candling them. Much details and veining with them both Too. Very active mostly at night.

Can anybody provide any info for these two little Snowflake Bobs?

Attachments

• IMG_1396.jpeg
    IMG_1396.jpeg
    594.6 KB · Views: 17
They should be fine. It can take average 12 hours from pip to zip in quail. I've had one hatch an hour after pipping, and another take about 21 hours.
Have they made any progress yet?
I wouldn't recommend it, but if you are really worried you could carefully candle them.

They should be fine. It can take average 12 hours from pip to zip in quail. I've had one hatch an hour after pipping, and another take about 21 hours.
Have they made any progress yet?
I wouldn't recommend it, but if you are really worried you could carefully candle them.
One hatched and now the other has some progress, but just a little bit. These guys are strange. Or just plain lazy.

Back
Top Bottom