AcuRite Hygrometer and The Beginner Guide To Hatching/Incubating

That is the math on how to come up with the correct humidity from what is displayed on the hygrometer you salt tested. It may not be 1.07, it may be something else if the reading is wrong.

D) If your hygrometer reads 70%, then the math is:
75 (should read) / 70 (your reading from the salt test) = 1.07

Now when you look at the hygrometer reading, multiply what you see by 1.07 to get the real humidity.

That is the math on how to come up with the correct humidity from what is displayed on the hygrometer you salt tested. It may not be 1.07, it may be something else if the reading is wrong.

75 (should read) / 70 (your reading from the salt test) = 1.07

Now when you look at the hygrometer reading, multiply what you see by 1.07 to get the real humidity.
Oh thank you

If your hygrometer reads 68% when doing the salt test:
75 / 68 = 1.10

Now when you see the hygrometer read 42.2%:
42.2 x 1.10 = 46.4

So the real humidity is 46%, not the 42% it reads.
Right now my hygrometer reads 72% it's only been less than an hour tho, since I prepared the salt test.

Don't cut the test off early. It should get closer than that. Sounds like it may end up reading real close to 75% but let it sit for at least 8 hours to see.

Oh. You can't calibrate the temp with the salt test. That is a different subject.

Give it at least 8 hours before checking what the hygrometer reads.

Hehe. That is a ton of salt.

A) Put 1 tablespoon of regular table salt (sodium chloride) into a small dish or container and add 1 teaspoon of water. Stir to totally saturate the salt. It won't fully dissolve but it will look like a slushy. Don't use "lite salt" or "no salt". You want 100% sodium chloride but if it contains iodine, that will probably work fine since it is a small concentration.

B) Place the dish into a resealable quart or gallon ziplock bag along with the hygrometer and seal the bag. Puff up the bag a little. Don't let the salt mix come in direct contact with the hygrometer.

C) Set the bag in a location where the temperature is fairly constant at room temp out of direct sunlight. After 8-12 hours check the reading of the hygrometer while still in the bag. It should read 75% relative humidity. If it does not, then you know how much the reading is off.

75 (should read) / 70 (your reading) = 1.07

This is super informative! Thank you for your easy to follow explanation. I was worried bc the videos I saw had people using much smaller bags

Back
Top Bottom