ACV and slimy auto waterer

Springermom

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 8, 2013
Sunbury, Ohio
I built an automatic waterer with an insulated 5 gallon cooler in my shed and PVC pipe running into the chicken run. It then has a row of nipples which work really well.

I use ACV in the water figuring it will keep down bacteria but after a couple of days, can feel a little "slime" on the sides of the cooler. I've been washing it out every couple of days but it means disconnecting the cooler and it's almost easier to go back to a regular waterer and cleaning it daily.

Is the slime normal with ACV and not harmful? The water is filtered going in and the cooler has a lid so nothing is getting into it. No algae. I'm thinking it could just be the mother in the vinegar causing this and it may not need totally cleaned all the time, that it's normal and maybe even desired? Or not...

Unfortunately PVC is one of the main culprits when it comes to endocrine disruptors. It's not a plastic suitable to handling even non acidic foods or fluids, never mind something like ACV. If you can get better quality plastics, that might be a good idea, otherwise I'd supply their ACV separately to reduce the quantity of synthetic estrogens and other chemicals they are taking in. No PVC would be ideal but it's often unavoidable. Linoleum is another great culprit for endocrine disruptors, good luck avoiding that too, many of us were raised on lino floors and so were more than a fair share of animals. Not to mention all the crappy weak plastics we've eaten and drunk out of over the years...

Best wishes.

I know PVC has at times been controversial but the soft plastics are most often cited. While leaching could occur, not only is it impractial to use copper piping in a chicken run, the amounts are quoted are very low and sometimes stated as unfounded. The highly diluted ACV could increase the effect but it would still be an extremely low amount. I cant avoid it for practical purposes and feel I have more of a health threat from bottled water than the eggs from my chickens. Especially since I am sure the eggs from stores contain much more harmful substances.

I'm more concerned with the health of the girls due to the coating in the waterer. It may simply be the fermentation of the ACV and the result of the mother. I am hoping someone knows more about it and if it's potentially harmful. A lot of people seem to use this type of system and ACV then clean it rarely since it's a closed system. They surely must have experienced it.

Guess we've read different studies then, but that's always a fact of life, you can find studies pro or anti anything.

Yes, the slime from the ACV is common, plenty of threads on this site about it, personally I use ceramic or metal waterers and just clean them regularly.

Might be possible for some kind of flushing/washing material to be used in nipplefeeders, i.e. something like sand, but don't know how feasible that would be.

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom