acv with "mother"

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bj taylor, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

[​IMG] [​IMG] The scary thing about that is you are probably right.... [​IMG] Hey, Cuz!

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    It's true that the snot thing is the real "mother" but for those that don't have that yet, using Braggs in unpasteurized apple juice is a great way to get it. Only takes a couple dollars and a month to make a whole gallon.

3. dirtylittlefly

dirtylittlefly Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2012
    Vancouver, WA

Nice, I was hoping the extra vitamin C was ok. I think I bought Treetop and it had 120% vitamin C, just like the other 4 brands available at Albertsons. As a preservative it makes sense that it would inhibit the vinegar to grow, just a bit slower. ;)

4. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I posted this in another thread but I'll say it again. I did accidently use the kind with added calcium last batch and it was horrible. Turned really dark and the "mother" looked like something from a horror film. I tossed the whole batch. So don't use the added calcium stuff!

5. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    I think this thread should keep going. Just because.

6. HudokFarm

HudokFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Minnesota
    Just started my batch of ACV this week! Then I started a batch of enzyme cleaner. Next on the list: cheese!

7. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    I haven't started anything. Matter of fact I forget to buy the juice every single time I go anywhere. I'll get to it though.

So cheese huh? Need my address?? [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. zinia8

zinia8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    Reels Corner, PA.
    [​IMG]
    is this the mother. should I now put this in a gallon jug with a lid on it?

9. groverlvchx

groverlvchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2012
    Minnesota
    THIS looks like something from a horror film. Is this what it's supposed to look like??? [​IMG]

10. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

That black thing is a spoon!!! [​IMG] The mother is the film in front of it....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by