1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

acv with "mother"

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bj taylor, Mar 7, 2012.

1. zinia8

zinia8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    Reels Corner, PA.
    Thanks Bee. Guess I'll slap a lid on that jug to keep the horror from escaping.

2. groverlvchx

groverlvchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2012
    Minnesota
    SO RELIEVED! I didn't want to grow the loch-ness monster in my laundry room! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. lbrtyldy

lbrtyldy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2011
    I'll have to look into making my own - have been using Bragg's for a long time and will have to see if it's cheaper to make my own.

4. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    But wait. With GREEN stuff in it? huh?

5. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I don't see anything green in that pic.

6. zinia8

Mar 19, 2011
    Reels Corner, PA.
    this was unpasteurised apple cider that turned to vinegar. I bought it as vinegar $2.00 a gallon. I poured it into the glass gallon jar with a coffee filter on top to see if it would grow a mother. and I guess it did. I tasted it and it is not as harsh?as the Heinz UP/AVC seems sweeter to me. now to buy a gallon of plain AVC and inoculate it with the mother.

7. zinia8

Mar 19, 2011
    Reels Corner, PA.
    nothing green in it. Question for ya all now. If I put the lid on the jar will it quit making the mother?

8. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Nope...mother is made. It will grow from there. The reasons for leaving the lid off the jug is to draw yeast spores from the air and to let out some gases as they get established and ferment the fluid. Once you have a good mother, you are golden and can cap that right off.

9. zinia8

Mar 19, 2011
    Reels Corner, PA.
    thanks again Bee

10. groverlvchx

groverlvchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2012
    Minnesota
    OK all I could find at the grocery was Heinz -- in a small glass bottle and I couldn't see the word "distilled" on it anywhere. Is that worth trying to use to get live culture? I also bought a large regular off-brand ACV that IS distilled. Can I just pour some of the ACV from the glass bottle into the larger jug? It's plastic. Is that okay? I was planning to pour about 1 cup into the gallon, rubber band a coffee filter on top, and set it in the dark behind the furnace for a week and then check. It's usually 75-80* there. Sound like a plan? I'd really like to get this going before my chickies come in the spring and I'm considering fermenting feed/scratch for my 16 chickens.
    Thanks for your advice!
    [​IMG]
    Carol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by