ADAMS COUNTY PA CHICKEN LAWS

Thanks for the information.. It will be later in the summer after vacation before I can get anything new.. Don't want to be out of town with new chickens in the hen house..
celebrate.gif

Hi - I have a question.

My neighbor has chickens. I do not know if they have had them for any length of time - I have not noticed before. It's quite possible.

Recently however their chickens were crowing at 5AM. Our neighborhood is extremely quiet and this is a very loud noise comparitively and disruptive to sleep. People in this area are usually respectful of each other in terms of noise (I have sought to be also, having lived here a good number of years - as has the neighbor - and never having had any issue like this before with anyone previously).

I believe it is zoned Rural Residential - not Agricultural.

I also believe, as I recall, that the deeds to our house state that we are not allowed to keep livestock. I would imagine theirs are the same since they both come from the same original plot allocation. We are both in Union Township. I would need to check, but I do know that the deeds state concerning other kinds of noise in general that noise is not to extend beyond the property boundary.

What does one do - next to of course talking with the neighbor - if they do not keep their chickens quiet? I am hopeful they will, since it seems like an aberration rather than anything regular, but I wanted to know just in case.

I have no desire to get them in any kind of trouble - even if they are breaking any local ordinances or not conforming with their deeds - but I do want to sleep and be effective for my employer; sometimes I work late and do not get up early and this was a frightfully loud noise for our neighborhood at 5AM. The recent occurrence was on a morning where I had set my alarm for quite a while later, having lost sleep earlier in the week, and was significantly disruptive to my day as a result, losing sleep.

Would appreciate any advice from anyone who knows how things work in Union Township / RR areas.

Thanks.

CS

Last edited:
Well for anyone else that might live in this area i did find out today that as long as you are zoned right (agricultural - which we are) and as long as your birds stay on your property you can have all the birds you want !!!!
celebrate.gif
that made me very happy to hear !!!!
Moving to the Sells Station Road area of Littlestown, PA. It appears to be outside city limits. Are chickens allowed?

Back
Top Bottom