Add a single chick to an existing pair?

ChickinCO

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 19, 2013
Lyons, CO
Hi everyone,
Long-time reader, first-time post-er. I have learned SO much from this forum!

I bought my first-ever flock of 3 chicks at my local feed store 10 days ago. Sadly, one of them died after about a week; she was not eating well/thriving and given the appearance of her poops in the last 24 hrs of her life, likely had coccidiosis. I separated her once I realized there was a problem and started all the chicks on Corid. She only made it another 36 hours or so.

Luckily, the other 2 seem to be doing great - eating and drinking well, flapping around and starting to use their little roost. I will finish up a 7-day course of Corid with them in a couple of days. I estimate that they are about 2 1/2 wks old (the feed store wasn't sure about age when I got them). They're still in a brooder in a spare room; haven't gone outside yet.

My question is about moving forward....I had planned a flock of 3, and now am down to 2.
--My thought was that having just a pair might not be the best - for social order, or in case something happened to one...any thought on this?

--I have read in the forum that introducing a single chicken to an established flock is a bad idea, understandably. But is this also true with chicks this young, that I haven't had for very long? Would getting another pair be better?

--If I were to get another chick or pair of chicks, can I introduce them into the brooder right away or would they need to be quarantined for awhile? I've read 30 days quarantine for adult chickens, but wasn't sure what was appropriate for this age, if anything. And would I then need to continue Corid for longer with my existing chicks as well as give Corid to the new one(s)? I don't have a lot of room for a separate brooder but will not do anything to jeopardize the health of my two girls, or the health of any new chicks.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I'd try it! That's young enough that they'll usually mesh pretty well as long as they're about the same age. There is probably a chance that there could be a disease problem, but the quarantine usually applies to older chickens that have been running around. (If I'm wrong on this someone please correct me!)

The biggest problem you may have is that the older chicks may pick on the younger. The closer in age you can get, the better. It might be best to introduce two new ones so the little one has a friend, but you can probably still do it. It's also easier to separate two if there is a pecking problem than just one by itself. Separating only needs to be something (like a cage or fence divider) that they still see each other through and interact through. They should quickly get used to each other.

Good luck!

Thanks SIMZ! That's encouraging.

Do you have any opinion (or does anyone else out there) on the need to continue Corid with the existing chicks after introducing a new one, and/or giving it to the new chick "just in case"? My current chicks' Corid course will be done tomorrow.

Although I had been keeping the brooder and all equipment super clean from the get-go, I did totally clean out everything after separating out the sick chick.

Tks again-

This is just my very inexperienced opinion, but I wouldn't give it to the next chick unless you suspect it has it. The older chicks should be fine now after treatment, so if you clean out the bedding I think it would be ok. You might feel better if you feed them medicated chick starter?

Hopefully, someone more experienced can help you out.

This is just my very inexperienced opinion, but I wouldn't give it to the next chick unless you suspect it has it. The older chicks should be fine now after treatment, so if you clean out the bedding I think it would be ok. You might feel better if you feed them medicated chick starter?

Hopefully, someone more experienced can help you out.
I would definately get 2 new ones instead of only one, for same reasons mentioned by previous poster. You should not have much problem with such a minor age spread.

Back
Top Bottom