Add more to my flock?

Bluerosesd

Chirping
Feb 20, 2018
South eastern Ky
i have three silver laced wyandottes, four blue orpingtons and four EE. There is some one close to me selling blue laced red wyandottes and speckled suxxex chicks the 26th. I might give a couple of my birds to my aunt to make room for them. There are a couple of the slw and bo that I haven’t named. Should I get a couple of each to add variety to my flock or shouldn’t I? I am so tempted.

Not if you don't have the space for them in the coop/run. Overcrowding causes issues so don't crowd them. If you have the space and can handle more upkeep, go for it.

I have space for more chickens but my flock is at 19 and that's about all the poop and eggs I can handle so my strategy is to avoid the feed stores as much as possible during the spring chick bonanza....although I came real close to getting a couple Jersey Giant chicks the other day when I had to buy feed. Clerk really tried to talk me into it but I stayed strong and didn't do it and now I'm glad I didn't.

i have three silver laced wyandottes, four blue orpingtons and four EE. There is some one close to me selling blue laced red wyandottes and speckled suxxex chicks the 26th. I might give a couple of my birds to my aunt to make room for them. There are a couple of the slw and bo that I haven’t named. Should I get a couple of each to add variety to my flock or shouldn’t I? I am so tempted.
How old are the birds you have?
How many do you have now?
Do both you and your aunt have things setup do to an integration?

I have 15 but already promised my aunt 3. She has always had chickens and has the set up to do the intergration. My set up is made for 12. I am thinking I will wait and add more EE later.

It's very tempting though, isn't it? Those are all such beautiful breeds!

I have to laugh though -- you're being very wise and practical for knowing you don't really have the space for more. But when you ask this group of people if you should add to your flock? -- We are all a bunch of chicken addicts here!!! tee hee....

I have decided to wait. The call of more chickens was hard to say no to lol. I am still going to give a few to my aunt who is a chicken addict too. She free ranges hers so I know they will have a good home. I had my mind set on 12. How many can a 4x6x4 4 across 6 long and 4 high hold? My run is a lot bigger than that I am thinking 15x10. I am adding to it as they get bigger it was just all we had to make at the time. I am thinking I will free range them some when I can supervise them and make sure they stay in my yard.

Chicken math strikes again! Get more, but build a bigger coop/run for them!:thumbsup

How many can a 4x6x4 4 across 6 long and 4 high hold?
I have a 4x6 coop and only have 3 hens in it, 2 of which are bantams. I wouldn't put more than 3 in it because at times during winter they can be coop bound for a long, long time. You may be able to have more provided they aren't stuck inside for any length of time though 12 may be pushing it.

Back
Top Bottom