Added eggs while incubating - update: all 6 ducklings hatched and younger egg in incubator

Oh poor Donsjie II.
Do you have a heat lamp you could use? At this age they should have a heat lamp during the night at least

No I don't have a heat lamp, and I put the heating plate with Donsje's baby (she's still inside). I don't think it was really cold and they all made it through the night. They're all getting their feathers, when they're sleeping they cuddle up with each other

My parents tell me that they're big enough to be outside and that they can go swim in the ditch it's so annoying. They're my babies and I know what's best for them but they don't seem to give a ****. I've been sick and I don't have the energy to get them a good and warm night house just now, I want them happily inside at night
hit.gif

No I don't have a heat lamp, and I put the heating plate with Donsje's baby (she's still inside). I don't think it was really cold and they all made it through the night. They're all getting their feathers, when they're sleeping they cuddle up with each other

My parents tell me that they're big enough to be outside and that they can go swim in the ditch it's so annoying. They're my babies and I know what's best for them but they don't seem to give a ****. I've been sick and I don't have the energy to get them a good and warm night house just now, I want them happily inside at night
hit.gif
Laundry? Garage? Even a tool shed? I would even keep mine in a cat travel box if I had to, not particularly roomy or comfortable, but safe and not too bad for a few hours. In a pinch a kept a couple in the bath tub.

Do they really get cold at night? I haven't heard them squeak at night, while I can hear them in the morning (when it's light and they want to get out and eat).

Do they really get cold at night? I haven't heard them squeak at night, while I can hear them in the morning (when it's light and they want to get out and eat).
It really depends on the ambient temperature. In an Auzzie summer it can still be sitting at 30 celsius or more, and even then I'd make sure they had a heat source before I went to bed so they could get warm if we had a sudden drop to under 25. If they are getting adult feathers and pile up together they sound like they'll be ok, but anything under 25 degrees and I would definitely worry....Even a hot water bottle for them to sit on will stay warm for about 6 hours and can make all the difference.

One member - I cant remember who! - swears by a small plastic box like an old ice cream container, cleaned out with a small door cut in and turned upside down so they can use it as a shelter. Because of the small, insulated space and close quaters, they dont need a heat source at all. If they were outside I would want something on the ground like an old towel or some wood shavings to insulate their feet.

hit.gif
How old are they? at three weeks I put mine outside, How bad is the injury?

It really depends on the ambient temperature. In an Auzzie summer it can still be sitting at 30 celsius or more, and even then I'd make sure they had a heat source before I went to bed so they could get warm if we had a sudden drop to under 25. If they are getting adult feathers and pile up together they sound like they'll be ok, but anything under 25 degrees and I would definitely worry....Even a hot water bottle for them to sit on will stay warm for about 6 hours and can make all the difference.

One member - I cant remember who! - swears by a small plastic box like an old ice cream container, cleaned out with a small door cut in and turned upside down so they can use it as a shelter. Because of the small, insulated space and close quaters, they dont need a heat source at all. If they were outside I would want something on the ground like an old towel or some wood shavings to insulate their feet.
Mine go in a dog crate at night without a heating lamp, once the adult feathers start to coming, no need to worry to much about them getting cold. there's quite a few there so they will cuddle up with each other to keep warm. I think they will be OK. at three weeks they do get messy and smell, if they are younger then that use some puppy pads, they absorb, easy to clean up and doesn't seem to smell to bad. But again, once they hit three weeks, there's not a lot you can do about the smell unless you clean them like every hour. That's a lot of work, as long as they are comfy and all can fit in a cat crate, they will be fine, just let them loose during the day. but it's a great sleeping ground. Ducks are very tolerable.

It's not really warm here, around 5 -10 degrees celcius. I put a blanket on the glass panel that is the "roof" of the cabinet and another blanket around the cabinet. The cabinet is on a pallet so there shouldn't be cold coming in from the ground.

they can get in from the bottom so the wind should stay out.

what it looks like on the inside. I put papers on the walls because there was poop on there
idunno.gif
There's papers under the bedding too. I just put the cardboard box in there for extra isolation

How old are they? at three weeks I put mine outside, How bad is the injury?

They were 3 weeks when they first went outside (lastFriday). I think they're really big for their age or something.

That's baby Donsje's bill. The photo is from today, the swellings are gone and it's a small scratch

Mine go in a dog crate at night without a heating lamp, once the adult feathers start to coming, no need to worry to much about them getting cold. there's quite a few there so they will cuddle up with each other to keep warm. I think they will be OK. at three weeks they do get messy and smell, if they are younger then that use some puppy pads, they absorb, easy to clean up and doesn't seem to smell to bad. But again, once they hit three weeks, there's not a lot you can do about the smell unless you clean them like every hour. That's a lot of work, as long as they are comfy and all can fit in a cat crate, they will be fine, just let them loose during the day. but it's a great sleeping ground. Ducks are very tolerable.

Some of them look like adult ducks with duckling heads. I don't really smell the poop because I've got a bad cold. HA really helpful when cleaning out the cabinet

On vacation they already smelled, they were just 1,5 week then! At night they slept inside the caravan (with my parents) in a cage, and the poop smelled really really nasty
sickbyc.gif
I felt bad for my mum because she took them outside in the morning.

It seems the big ones are sorta accepting baby Donsje! Now I can let her go out with the rest (supervised of course), she's not so frustrated anymore!

These flowers must harbour treasures, they love searching around in them!

She's so cute omg

Another swimming pool for the babies, this one is a bit deeper.

LACES!!!

Some look really fat but they always act like they're starving when I feed them (I found water fowl raiser with 18.5% protein)

That's big Donsje with her babies! She was in the ditch and they must have hatched today. I hope some will survive, but they don't have a big chance sadly

Back
Top Bottom