Added eggs while incubating - update: all 6 ducklings hatched and younger egg in incubator

Yesterday I wanted to let them air and I noticed some of the eggs had started to pip... I didn't know what to do so I let them air for 10 minutes and then put them back in the incubator and started to raise humidity. Since then they've not really made progress, all of them have pips but none of them have broke through the egg membrane. It's been 16 hours, are my babies alright??
sad.png
I'm not hearing a lot either, only one baby is making noise and moving.

The temperature has also dropped a bit, it went from 37,5 to 37 degrees Celcius. Should I get it back to 37,5?

Please help, I'm so worried!
sad.png

Mine are hatching right now. They pipped yesterday and today 3 have already hatched. And it's only day 27 for them. So I don't think you should worry if they haven't hatched yet. Good luck! And your duck is beautiful!

Okay mine are on day 26 (Donsje's egg on day 16). I just checked the eggs again and another egg was moving and chirping. But none have broken open the shell yet.. that's what worries me :( Also one egg has a purple colour.. like a bruise/bleeding in the egg. Is this normal?

Thank you! She's the only snowy duck around and she loves to chill in our garden! I think she's on a new nest right now, I haven't seen her all day. Last year she came to show us her duckling
big_smile.png

Its normal for ducks to take 24-48 hours from pip to getting completely out (according to Storeys Guide to Raising Ducks) so dont panic yet!

Good luck!!

Hm, I haven't had any problems with purple stuff.
Does Donsjie have a mate? If not, then her eggs may not be fertile.
Some egg take up to 40 hours to hatch, I've been told.

Okay trying to stay calm but it's difficult with the prospect of super cute ducklings around!

I have no idea, first 6 eggs were all viable. Donsje has a mate, but she herself is not the youngest anymore. I didn't expect to get her eggs, but she laid them in the grass and I just couldn't leave them to be eaten by magpies. I wanted to give them a chance but 2 died or weren't viable (there was something red in them though).

The purple stuff showed up after pipping. I haven't candeled them for a week because all I see is the air cell. I don't have a good candling light, only a small led flashlight. I'll try to make a picture of the purple!

The picture didn't work out so well but you might see it a little. All eggs have pipped at the round end of the eggs, by the way.

edit: the purple is only at the round side, I think it might be in the air cell?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom