Added Hens. How can I tell how old they are??

Barbt0802

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2016
Masaryktown, Florida
[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]I just got 4 hens from someone. and I was wondering when can I expect eggs??
And how can I tell how old they are??
thanks for any help I can get..[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]
Barb

Attachments

• IMG_0965.JPG
    IMG_0965.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0969.JPG
    IMG_0969.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Did the person you got them from refer to them as pullets? Are their combs red or pale pink? Examine the vent. Is it dry or moist? A moist vent means eggs are possible. Locate the two bony protrusions on either side of the vent. If you can fit two fingers between these, you can expect eggs soon.

I've noticed that hens, as they get older, tend to get wider "fender skirts", and these hang lower toward the ground. Young pullets and very young hens will have much more leg showing with "pantaloons" partway down the leg, since they haven't developed fender skirts yet.

The older the hen, the closer to the ground her body appears. But you really aren't going to be able to tell how old she is in years. Hens don't have tree rings you can count, unfortunately.

If the source called them hens, then that would mean one year or older, and if not elders, they should already be laying.

It would seem best IMO to ask your source how old they are
idunno.gif

If they are laying, they may lay almost immediately when you bring them home, as that egg is in the chute. Then they may take a break until they get used to the new set up. The above is good advice, old chickens do look old, also look at their beak and legs. But other than that, there is not real way to say, ahh this is 2.5 years old.

My post was unclear, what I meant is while you can look and say, hmmm that is an old chicken, you cannot say, this is a 3 year old chicken, or a 5 year old chicken. There is no way to know for sure.

Did the person you got them from refer to them as pullets? Are their combs red or pale pink? Examine the vent. Is it dry or moist? A moist vent means eggs are possible. Locate the two bony protrusions on either side of the vent. If you can fit two fingers between these, you can expect eggs soon.

I've noticed that hens, as they get older, tend to get wider "fender skirts", and these hang lower toward the ground. Young pullets and very young hens will have much more leg showing with "pantaloons" partway down the leg, since they haven't developed fender skirts yet.

The older the hen, the closer to the ground her body appears. But you really aren't going to be able to tell how old she is in years. Hens don't have tree rings you can count, unfortunately.
added pictures

Back
Top Bottom