Added new hens,now fighting

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bamas-Chicks, May 26, 2019.

1. Bamas-Chicks

Bamas-Chicks Chirping

May 4, 2019
    COLUMBUS GA
    Added 3 new hens to my flock of 4 today. I guess they will settle down once the pecking order is reestablished. If I'm wrong please let me know.

chrissynemetz likes this.
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Make sure that all are getting enough to eat and drink and that picked upon birds can get away from the aggressors. As long as they are not getting physically injured allow them to work things out.

3. Bamas-Chicks

Bamas-Chicks Chirping

May 4, 2019
    COLUMBUS GA
    That's what I figured I just wanted to get a second opinion. I have a 20' X 20' totally enclosed pen so they have plenty of room. 4 feeding stations and 2 water stations so that shouldn't be a problem. New hens are fairly close in age to the old hens too

4. SurferchickinSB

SurferchickinSB Crowing

Feb 23, 2018
    California
    Did you slowly introduce them? Were they able to see each other for a few weeks before you put them together? If not, it could get really nasty!

5. Bamas-Chicks

Bamas-Chicks Chirping

May 4, 2019
    COLUMBUS GA
    No I didnt,I've had the 4 for about 2 weeks and just added the new 3 today.

6. SurferchickinSB

SurferchickinSB Crowing

Feb 23, 2018
    California
    Oh, since you have such a big run, is there anyway you can split it with some chicken wire? It is best to allow them to see each other for a few weeks before you put them together. Otherwise you could be treating injuries. Since both sets are relatively new, maybe just separate them but allow them to see each other for a week.

7. Bamas-Chicks

Bamas-Chicks Chirping

May 4, 2019
    COLUMBUS GA
    I'm gonna watch and see how they do in the morning,their asleep now. If they seem like they still have a problem that's exactly what I will do

8. Chickassan

Chickassan Wattle Fondler

I wouldn't youv'e already started the process. Just let it ride unless somebody has a gun or taken hostages.
    Hens gonna fight, no matter what from time to time. Would not even worry.about it.:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: