Addicted to Quack

Frosty, your pond would be around 1100 gallons. I would overmatch the pump, look for something in the 1500 gallon per hour range, submersable, and able to handle solids. Not so much for the duck waste, but for any dirt or debris they would carry in with them. A sump pump is the type I have in mind. Not terribly efficient but it won't get overworked like a typical fountain or goldfish sort of pond pump. As for filtration, since you don't have to worry about fish, don't bother with a biological filter. mechanical filtration is all you'll need. The water is pumped into a chamber that is filled with filter material---usually some type of filter matt.
You can build one of those yourself easily. You can construct them as a pressurized unit or non pressurized.
If I were building my pond again I would also allow for constructing some bottom drains. It would make cleaning the bottom after years of sludge buildup so much easier.

Mandarins are beautiful ducks!

I appreciate the information... and I figure that since mandarins do like to dive, I also need to make sure that the inlet to any pump is duck proof... not able to suck them in and not enough suction that they would get stuck (probably just have a guard enclosing the area around it so that they can't get close). Right now everyone has their own little pools, I think this will make them happier!

Wish I had your talent with a camera, those really are some awesome pictures! Are you proffessional, or just really good? Those belong in a magazine somewhere!

And as for years of sludge... I plan to get one of those pumps that handle solid waste and pump it out every fall so that the liner doesn't get damaged from freezing, so it will get emptied and cleaned yearly. Probably pump it out to the veggie garden in the fall when the garden is done for the year.

I'm afraid I've become addicted to Quack too.

I would never get ducks before because of the wet mess. When my daughter finally got old enough to care for them I gave in. I discovered the mess wasn't so bad. I long ago crossed the threshold of feeding and daily cleaning where a dozen ducks didn't make a bit of difference. I realized pretty fast that the ducks were a lot of fun. They really enjoy themselves and a puddle can become a whole amusement park.

I've also got a very wet bit of property with holes that breed mosquitoes nearly all summer long. Noticed the ducks would spend all day working those mini ponds over and eating the mosquito and black fly larvae. Enough so that I noticed a difference in biting bugs.

Sadly a mink found my flock about a month ago now. I miss them terribly. I do have an incubator full of duck eggs I bought. We will see how well they do. I don't have a lot of luck with shipped eggs but I do see life in a lot of them. Mink is probably keeping a lady on Park Avenue warm now so I need more Quack!

Sounds like you've put a good deal of thought into the pond. Your ducks will be a happy bunch! Not quite a fulltime professional photographer, but working on it. Thank you for your kind comments.

Sue, I know what you mean, I could watch the duck follies all day. Some lazy afternoons I actually do. What kinds of ducks are you incubating?

today%20014aa.jpg

Last edited:
cayugas and runners

I've got a few coming from ideal too with some chicks. Should have my puddle circus back soon.

Back
Top Bottom