Adding 24 to existing flock of 4

Wow - such great information from both of you FlappyFeathers and aart! Thank you so much. And sorry Matzwd for the off topic - my bad. There is just so much to learn and one thing leads to another. You have all given me much to think about. Thank you again!

@Matzwd those links might be helpful for you too :)
Definitely helpful, thank you!!
Wow - such great information from both of you FlappyFeathers and aart! Thank you so much. And sorry Matzwd for the off topic - my bad. There is just so much to learn and one thing leads to another. You have all given me much to think about. Thank you again!
There certainly is a lot to learn, and I never mind learning from others' questions as well. I do deep litter in the run, but just shavings in the coop. When we change out the coop bedding, it just gets raked into the run. When I'm scooping poo in the mornings, I throw it out into the run. I like that I don't have to relocate it to dispose of it.

Your coop is beautiful! Your girls are sure to enjoy it.

Definitely helpful, thank you!!

There certainly is a lot to learn, and I never mind learning from others' questions as well. I do deep litter in the run, but just shavings in the coop. When we change out the coop bedding, it just gets raked into the run. When I'm scooping poo in the mornings, I throw it out into the run. I like that I don't have to relocate it to dispose of it.

Your coop is beautiful! Your girls are sure to enjoy it.
Thank you! You are very kind.

I totally know what you mean about the dust! My first batch of chicks stayed in the house for about 4-5 weeks before I just couldn't stand it anymore. I was using a heat lamp back then and was always stressed about how they could survive outside... so much worry for no real reason at all. Chicks are much more resilient than we give them credit for sometimes!
And yes, a coop brooder is a lifesaver!!

Those all sound like good ideas to me and your coop looks awesome! But if you're planning on building a brooder under the roosts (which is a perfect spot!) why not just make the "roof" part permanent? The front can still be removable like you say, but that area may come in handy at any time in the future if you need to separate an injured bird that needs protection, or if you want to separate a mean bully.

You can also turn that roof into a poop board or tray, which will make clean up sooooo easy. I fill mine with Sweet PDZ stall refresher and just scoop it like cat litter into a bucket and toss it in my compost bin. The rest of the coop is pine shavings. Since most poop in the coop comes from roost droppings at nighttime, the shavings only need to be cleaned out once or twice a year. The PDZ is also excellent at keeping away odor and ammonia fumes. A poop tray/convertible brooder is a win win!
Hello again. I have been using your idea about the permanent roof and using it as a poop tray. Great idea - thanks!!! I am using Stall Dry in the tray. My concern is that I will be composting all of that wonderful poop and using it in my organic garden. Is it safe and organic? So far, I have not put the used Stall Dry in the compost (other than what sticks to the poo). Do you know if it is safe to compost? Is there a better material to use? Thanks again for your great advice!

Hello again. I have been using your idea about the permanent roof and using it as a poop tray. Great idea - thanks!!! I am using Stall Dry in the tray. My concern is that I will be composting all of that wonderful poop and using it in my organic garden. Is it safe and organic? So far, I have not put the used Stall Dry in the compost (other than what sticks to the poo). Do you know if it is safe to compost? Is there a better material to use? Thanks again for your great advice!
Hi there, great to hear from you again! I'm glad it's working out for you so far!
I know that Sweet PDZ has natural zeolites and perfectly safe for composting, I compost all the droppings I scoop. I found this about Stall Dry... it's fine too!
https://www.absorbentproductsltd.com/stall-dry-in-compost/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/stall-dry-in-compost-pile.215504/

Some people use a mix of sand and stall-refresher to save on cost. I used to use plain sand a few years ago but I found that it retained stinky smells and got gross after a while even with regular scooping, so the stall refresher really helps!

Last edited:
Some people use a mix of sand and stall-refresher to save on cost. I used to use plain sand a few years ago but I found that it retained stinky smells and got gross after a while even with regular scooping, so the stall refresher really helps!
I used sand in my brooder this spring, mixed with sweet PDZ, and sifted all it every night. It took me a bit to figure out that the sand definitely holds the ammonia. I switched to peletized horse bedding and stirred it regularly, removing big chunks o' poo, and it worked so much better.

Now that they are in the coop, the poop tray is filled with Sweet PDZ, and i love it! Works great and makes food compost!

I used sand in my brooder this spring, mixed with sweet PDZ, and sifted all it every night. It took me a bit to figure out that the sand definitely holds the ammonia. I switched to peletized horse bedding and stirred it regularly, removing big chunks o' poo, and it worked so much better.

Now that they are in the coop, the poop tray is filled with Sweet PDZ, and i love it! Works great and makes food compost!
Wow, I suffered with the sand in the poop tray for almost a whole year before I discovered Sweet PDZ... I can't believe what a big difference it makes! And yes, I agree that the stall pellets also make the best brooder bedding.
good2.gif

Back
Top Bottom