Adding 2nd rooster

tsperry88

Songster
Mar 30, 2020
Fredericksburg, VA
My 14 chickens are 11 weeks old. After loosing some to a fox, I ordered 5 rhode island hens and 1 rhode island rooster that will be here in about a weeks. By the time I start introductions to the flock, the older ones will be about 20 weeks old. Currently I have a one welsummer rooster. How much drama should I anticipate between the roosters? They have a 567 sq ft run and free range in the afternoon.

I do not have any roosters, and therefore cannot answer your question. However, I wish you luck with the merging of your flocks, and hope someone with more expertise will come along soon to help you.

Thanks. The one I have so far has been a good little rooster. He sounds like a rubber dog toy when he crows:) Its just a long road to maturity, and I would always like to have a mature rooster in the flock. Keeping 2 seems like the best way to ensure that.

Roosters will be roosters so yes, there will be drama at the beginning. They are going to fight. If the rooster you are adding to the flock is a youngster, once his hormones kick in he will try to push the limits with your dominant rooster and try to depose him.

I have a LOT of roosters so there isn't anything they do that surprises me any longer.

The youngster may depose the older bird as flock master or he will get his attitude adjusted and fall into the roll of 'First Lieutenant' and help the dominant rooster watch over the hens. The dominant rooster may let him mate the occasional hen but if he tries to mate a hen that the dominant rooster looks upon as a favorite, he will chastise the second in command.

My flock leader is a one year old Egyptian Fayoumi named Tut. His second in command is a little BBR rooster named Stoopid. I currently have one hen brooding 4 7 week old chicks and a second hen who just went back to the flock, leaving her three bantam chicks for the roosters to watch over and yes, they do guard the chicks.

So having a second rooster is a good idea, once you get past the dominance silliness they should settle down and get along.

Also, if the second rooster is younger, they may just slide into an 'understanding' with little drama.

You don't know which way it is going to go tho so I agree, no matter what, be diligent and ready to step in if things get out of control.

My rooster was killed by a fox while free ranging. I bought 2 more and ended up with 3. 2 are 8 weeks and 1 is 6 weeks. Currently they get along but I know that doesn't mean anything this early. I can only keep 2.

The 8 weeks olds are already trying it mate the young hens. They got expedited integration with the big birds and are doing well other than spending a bunch of time running away from them. The hens really just chase and hardly peck.

Back
Top Bottom