Adding a bantam to a regular flock

greggooo

Happy Chickens!
Aug 29, 2017
Woodstock, NY
My Coop
My Coop
Hi there! If anyone has any wisdom about this, I would love it. A sanctuary called us last week, a Mille Fleur D'Uccle was found living in the woods, abandoned. They know us and asked if we could take her. She had been treated for lice and mites successfully and quarantined by herself for 3 weeks. We said that we would try.

She's SO cute and very sweet. She just wants to cuddle. Just be held and close her eyes. She needs to feel safe. Our flock has 7 hens and a rooster, regular size, easter eggers mostly. We just started her in a dog playpen in their run after a week. Immediately, our top hen stuck her head through the bars as far as she could and went for an eye. She's fine, and we put deer fencing around the cage so no more heads could go through.

What do we do now? A couple of the hens have chatted with her, a couple have tried to jump her through the fence. And will she be okay with the rooster? He's a full sized easter egger.

Or do we now have a house chicken......? We don't want to give her a home only to let her get hurt.

Attachments

• 58415095457__F77B4797-A213-46E3-8E43-5C39143DFA6D.JPG-3.jpeg
    58415095457__F77B4797-A213-46E3-8E43-5C39143DFA6D.JPG-3.jpeg
    424.6 KB · Views: 12
It may take a while, but eventually she will fall in line with the rest of the flock. There is always a pecking order activity whenever there is a NEWCOMER. Keep her safe in a cage, but within sight of all the chickens. After a while,,,,,, you can see how the interaction is when they are free-ranging in the open yard. If your run is large, then there.
I keep an assortment of LF, and Bantams. Pets only. I do not have a rooster, so cant help you with that. My chickens get along, even though they are different sizes. I have a very large secured run area for them. They also free-range when I'm outside with them.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

I think she's going to have problems. Two or three bantams mixed in with full sized hens may work; one stands out like a sore thumb to the rest of the flock.
I'm sure people will write they keep mixtures without any issues.
I also don't think a full sized rooster is going to be good for the bantam when mating.

Back
Top Bottom