Adding a Drake -Pros and Cons

As good as the arguments you have all made are, I’m leaning towards sticking with what I’ve already got for now, mostly as I’m a bit overwhelmed in other aspects of life at the moment and adding another live being that could potentially live for 10+ years seems like not the greatest idea. That being said, I still haven’t decided 100%, and I’m sure that if my coworker showed up at work with him as a surprise, I wouldn’t say no! We’ll see!

All the Drakes i have ever had were completely useless,They were the first to run away from anything scary while the females would be following it not to mention they rape females like crazy during breeding season.

I currently only have one tiny call duck drake with my 14 hens and its a lot more peaceful. Best of luck!

All the Drakes i have ever had were completely useless,They were the first to run away from anything scary while the females would be following it not to mention they rape females like crazy during breeding season.
I currently only have one tiny call duck drake with my 14 hens and its a lot more peaceful. Best of luck!
You must have been very unlucky with your drakes. I had a Fawn & White Runner drake whom we named "Donald" because he was a bully, but still he was valuable for the flock: No witness, but he must have given his life in defending the females finally. RIP Donald!
Limpy, the other F&W Runner drake is sweet and kind with all girls and they love him. He is always the last one at the feeder, watching out while the girls eat and drink.
And even though Erpelchen my young Buff Orpington drake is a serial rapist and an eating machine i wouldn't give him away: When something happens, he is just there, yelling and even charging at me when i dare to pick up one of "his" girls. I have 10 day old ducklings right now and both drakes protect the little ones.

You must have been very unlucky with your drakes. I had a Fawn & White Runner drake whom we named "Donald" because he was a bully, but still he was valuable for the flock: No witness, but he must have given his life in defending the females finally. RIP Donald!
Limpy, the other F&W Runner drake is sweet and kind with all girls and they love him. He is always the last one at the feeder, watching out while the girls eat and drink.
And even though Erpelchen my young Buff Orpington drake is a serial rapist and an eating machine i wouldn't give him away: When something happens, he is just there, yelling and even charging at me when i dare to pick up one of "his" girls. I have 10 day old ducklings right now and both drakes protect the little ones.

I guess so,I have had about 15 drakes over the years only two have been somewhat good drakes.The others were constantly mating with the females and chasing them around the pasture non stop.It was a perfect female to male ratio too,So i guess i just get bat crazy drakes.

As good as the arguments you have all made are, I’m leaning towards sticking with what I’ve already got for now, mostly as I’m a bit overwhelmed in other aspects of life at the moment and adding another live being that could potentially live for 10+ years seems like not the greatest idea. That being said, I still haven’t decided 100%, and I’m sure that if my coworker showed up at work with him as a surprise, I wouldn’t say no! We’ll see!
I know what you mean, I just got another dog and I can’t believe how much it has been stressing me out!

Back
Top Bottom