Adding a gosling to chicks

bhawk-23

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Apr 12, 2020
East Central Illinois
So I’ve not had geese, yet, so I’m hoping for some info before accepting one.

I currently have a flock of 7 hens. MD and MG positive.

I brought home 4 four week old vaccinated pullets yesterday.

I was offered a 10 day old Embden (?) gosling that needs a home.

Is this a good beginner’s goose breed? I do not know the gender of the gosling. I’ve read that a goose can live with chickens but are they happy in a flock with only chickens? If it is a gander will he hurt my hens during breeding season? Will he become aggressive if he has no mate? I’m not super opposed to getting a mate in the future but not until I know the gender of this one. Since I have MD any bird that comes on my property will not be re-homed so I am very cautious to not chance multiple males.

All this said, I am VERY goose curious😁

Does anyone have thoughts to offer? Thanks!

I’ve read that some goose breeders will not sell a lone goose. I think they end up imprinting on the chickens and if you end up getting more geese later the chicken-goose will not be accepted by the other geese, and of course the chickens won’t truly accept the goose either so you create a bird that doesn’t fit into either world.

I do not have my own experience with geese though, so hopefully some others will chime in.

I’ve read that some goose breeders will not sell a lone goose. I think they end up imprinting on the chickens and if you end up getting more geese later the chicken-goose will not be accepted by the other geese, and of course the chickens won’t truly accept the goose either so you create a bird that doesn’t fit into either world.

I do not have my own experience with geese though, so hopefully some others will chime in.
Thank you. Interesting that they would not be accepted by another gosling raised with them.

Geese are very social and will bond with whoever they’re around most. If it’s only chickens they will bond with them.

However chickens are chickens and will do chicken things with other chickens more or less excluding the goose, which can lead to a very lonely existence. This is why it’s generally kind to keep two geese.
Some geese do well with other species of birds, others don’t. It depends a lot of personality and seasonal hormones. Sometimes if geese try to breed a smaller species of bird they can end up injuring or killing them. Some geese “male or female” can police other birds and get upset if a rooster tries to breed a hen and attack it. If there isn’t enough room for the other bird to get away the goose can end up killing it, especially in breeding season when hormones make geese loopy.

There is no such thing as a guard goose, but there are alarm geese.
A goose can’t and won’t protect your flock from predators and has no instinct to. They can’t really protect themselves. They will protect a mate, nest, and goslings with their life, but nothing else.
What geese can do is intimidate hawks to an extent because of their size, and be an extra set of eyes looking out for danger. They will alert the flock if they see something, but unless you’re there there’s a good chance you won’t hear the low “heh heh heh” sound they make when they see something “spooky.”
Chinese type geese are far more loud and vocal about visitors and other things. I’m not sure about Embdens.

Introducing a new goose to another can take time for them to accept each other, other times they can just click, it depends on personality. Geese don’t imprint on individuals like cranes, kakapos, and some other birds do, geese are more socially flexible so even if raised with chickens it won’t prevent them from bonding with another goose later while still maintaining a relationship with you and the chickens if one exists.

It‘s important to know that geese view anyone who spends the most time with them as their “family.” Anyone who spends less time with them can be seen as a nuisance invading their territory and even a potential rival in breeding season. People and things they don’t recognize are scary strangers they’ll usually avoid.

Embdens are one of the heaviest breeds which makes heavy feeders. Small breed geese can get by with a low protein diet, larger breeds require more. Geese in general need more niacin and other B vitamins so you’ll need to get your goose a good 20% flock raiser or waterfowl type start and then an all flock or waterfowl feed. Large breed geese you can actually just feed 20% flock raiser year round at any stage.

They can be accepted by other geese even if raised by chickens.

Geese can sometimes take awhile to accept any newcomer regardless of their history though, just because they are a stranger.

Geese are very social and will bond with whoever they’re around most. If it’s only chickens they will bond with them.

However chickens are chickens and will do chicken things with other chickens more or less excluding the goose, which can lead to a very lonely existence. This is why it’s generally kind to keep two geese.
Some geese do well with other species of birds, others don’t. It depends a lot of personality and seasonal hormones. Sometimes if geese try to breed a smaller species of bird they can end up injuring or killing them. Some geese “male or female” can police other birds and get upset if a rooster tries to breed a hen and attack it. If there isn’t enough room for the other bird to get away the goose can end up killing it, especially in breeding season when hormones make geese loopy.

There is no such thing as a guard goose, but there are alarm geese.
A goose can’t and won’t protect your flock from predators and has no instinct to. They can’t really protect themselves. They will protect a mate, nest, and goslings with their life, but nothing else.
What geese can do is intimidate hawks to an extent because of their size, and be an extra set of eyes looking out for danger. They will alert the flock if they see something, but unless you’re there there’s a good chance you won’t hear the low “heh heh heh” sound they make when they see something “spooky.”
Chinese type geese are far more loud and vocal about visitors and other things. I’m not sure about Embdens.

Introducing a new goose to another can take time for them to accept each other, other times they can just click, it depends on personality. Geese don’t imprint on individuals like cranes, kakapos, and some other birds do, geese are more socially flexible so even if raised with chickens it won’t prevent them from bonding with another goose later while still maintaining a relationship with you and the chickens if one exists.

It‘s important to know that geese view anyone who spends the most time with them as their “family.” Anyone who spends less time with them can be seen as a nuisance invading their territory and even a potential rival in breeding season. People and things they don’t recognize are scary strangers they’ll usually avoid.

Embdens are one of the heaviest breeds which makes heavy feeders. Small breed geese can get by with a low protein diet, larger breeds require more. Geese in general need more niacin and other B vitamins so you’ll need to get your goose a good 20% flock raiser or waterfowl type start and then an all flock or waterfowl feed. Large breed geese you can actually just feed 20% flock raiser year round at any stage.
Thank you for the in-depth explanations, I really appreciate it!

We free range from 8 am-ish to roosting time. We have a netted yard and large (very bird friendly) dogs so I’m not looking for a “guard” goose. I am outside a lot and love spending time with my girls. They will actually come to my window, look inside and call for me if it’s been a bit since I’ve been out to visit that day. Spoiled girls!
No roosters here.
Mostly a peaceful flock. Pecking order exists but nothing aggressive.
I’m looking for a pet. I recently lost my bantam girl who behaved more like a dog. She was absolutely amazing. She spent more time with me and the dogs than she did the flock. This situation came about due to unfortunate circumstances but I enjoyed her company so much that I would like to bond with another in this way. Finding another chicken like this will be quite difficult. Also, since she was attached to the humans and dogs more than the flock she would stay to the outskirts and run from the others even if they were not chasing her. But flock politics is harsh.
I have been researching ducks and geese since she passed. So when I was offered this little one I researched more. There are so many opinions out there so I thought to ask for first hand experience.
This goose will be a pet. But I will not accept if I cannot provide them a happy home.

We free range from 8 am-ish to roosting time. We have a netted yard and large (very bird friendly) dogs so I’m not looking for a “guard” goose. I am outside a lot and love spending time with my girls. They will actually come to my window, look inside and call for me if it’s been a bit since I’ve been out to visit that day. Spoiled girls!
No roosters here.
I’m looking for a pet. I recently lost my bantam girl who behaved more like a dog. She was absolutely amazing. She spent more time with me and the dogs than she did the flock. This situation came about due to unfortunate circumstances but I enjoyed her company so much that I would like to bond with another in this way. Finding another chicken like this will be quite difficult. Also, since she was attached to the humans and dogs more than the flock she would stay to the outskirts and run from the others even if they were not chasing her. But flock politics is harsh.
I have been researching ducks and geese since she passed. So when I was offered this little one I researched more. There are so many opinions out there so I thought to ask for first hand experience.
This goose will be a pet. But I will not accept if I cannot provide them a happy home.
I’m so sorry that you lost your bantam girl!

You won’t be disappointed with geese, they’re goofy, full of personality, affectionate, and they love to be with their humans!

I’m so sorry that you lost your bantam girl!

You won’t be disappointed with geese, they’re goofy, full of personality, affectionate, and they love to be with their humans!
Will the goose be happy those times I am not outside? I do not work outside the home but my son does play hockey, we have appointments, etc. Nothing major, but realistically I am not outside from 9-5.
I wasn’t worried so much with the Bantam because she was with a flock even if she did not prefer them. Her eyes certainly lit up as soon as she saw us or the dogs though! Lol

No roosters here.
I wasn’t looking for a goose 4 weeks ago
But went to get ancona ducklings from a friend and somehow she wasn’t selling her goslings and I wasn’t there to buy one and here I am a new gosling mom
The first week I had to be with her at all times abc slowly I started to leave her more and more
If she sees me she comes running as fast as she can for cuddles
If I sit in the chair she is either at my feet or asking to be on my lap
I know mine is female as she had dna testing done
My mom and dad duck keep to themselves most times in the smaller area of the yard and Stella has taken to hang out with them
Daisy has fully accepted her but peep can still give a little chase here and there
The other 11 ducks do their own thing and don’t really pay attention to her
If they do give her the head nod ( like move away ) she runs away from them
I also have smaller ducklings age 4-5 weeks and Stella tries to nip at them now and then
They can’t be left unattended yet
But she is getting better around them
One thing I have learned having her is they need toys To keep busy
Mine also showed slight sign of angel wing and I got her wrapped immediately
Left on for 4 days and it fixed the issues
Her wings look great now in case this happens to you
If you want a lap bird who will always want to come for a cuddle a goose is the way to go :)

Will the goose be happy those times I am not outside? I do not work outside the home but my son does play hockey, we have appointments, etc. Nothing major, but realistically I am not outside from 9-5.
I wasn’t worried so much with the Bantam because she was with a flock even if she did not prefer them. Her eyes certainly lit up as soon as she saw us or the dogs though! Lol
If they develop a relationship with the chickens when they’re adults or almost adults then yes. If not there could be an issue, geese suffer from anxiety and stress if left alone, it can manifest as terror as goslings because they’re never naturally alone. Mirrors and stuffed animals can help while they’re little.

Back
Top Bottom