Adding a light to the coop

kristenm1975

Songster
11 Years
Jul 23, 2008
Seattle, WA
I have over 20 hens and am only getting 1 or 2 eggs a day so I'm wanting to step up that egg production. I put in a 100 watt bulb out there and plan to turn it on when I get up in the morning at 5 and have my boyfriend shut it off for me whenever he gets up (9 or so, lucky guy).

My question is, how long do you all suppose it's going to take to see more eggs rolling? Also, is the 100 watt the best choice or should I go with something lower?

Thanks! Oh, don't know if it matters, but the types of chickens are: Wyandotte, Ameracauna, Cochin, Sicilian Buttercup, Barred Rock, Turkens, Turken/Silkie cross, Sebright, Phoenix...I think that's all. What do you think??

Can I just throw in a question here...

I found some lamp timers at Lowe's and I'm thinking about hooking one up to come on at 4:30 am... my coop is not wired. Can anyone recommend a power operated light fixture for a very low wattage bulb to attach to the timer? I only have a small 4x5 coop and I'm now barely getting 1 every other day, when I was used to getting 2 a day.

I have a 25 watt red bulb and a 11 watt red sign bulb. I had my lights on a timer, but the timer died so I just leave them on now. I moved the light on the left side of the picture higher since this picture was taken and I had 40 watt regular bulbs in the one on the left and a heat lamp in the one on the right. I live in Florida, this picture was taken during the winter.

4942_image002.jpg

i also have a small coop only 4x4. its the chick n barn by ware. Can a light be put in that or is it too small. my chickens aren't laying at all now that the weather is colder.

I'm thinking of putting a strand of Christmas rope lights into my coop and put it on a timer. That way I don't have to worry about them knocking it down or it burning them if they hit it.

Quote:
Try a rope light or two. I used two for my 5x10. It's a nice soft light, but not too bright. I have just a standard lamp timer and have it come on at 4-5 in the morning. I peek in on them sometimes and some are eating or hanging out on the roost.

Back
Top Bottom