Adding a new Rooster

Now this threads changing gears but if I do have a broody hen how do I get a cockerel or know when an eggs a cockerel ? I heard once the cockerel eggs are more pointed at the top is this true? Or it’s just get what you get?

Yes, the thing is, and this is famous words of advice that took me several years to actually do. When you think you have a broody hen, WAIT 3-5 days. Because it is a hormonal thing, sometimes they will look broody, then get off the nest and go back to normal, then to get serious. Give her time to get serious.

Then mark the number of eggs you want to set with a sharpie, (two or three is fine, but not every egg will hatch). As other layers, will seem to think, "Oh she is willing to do the work, I will give her an egg". You need to check the nest about every 2-3 days, and take out the strange eggs.

Once years ago, people on here ran a survey, where as people all across the country added the eggs they set and the eggs that hatched both broody or incubator, and when they got in the thousands (good data) they got about a 50% hatch, about 50% males to females. Course that is just an average, so if you get more than 50% you are doing good.

The truth is, if you are hatching, you have to be comfortable with harvesting roosters. If not, it is better to just let her set, and slip day old sex-linked chicks. I do hatch out, and had 6 males to 3 females, and some people get all males, it is a possible.

Mrs K

I just wanted a second one because Of breeding reasons.....I have 300 square foot in my inside coop about with roosts every where
Wow, that sounds Great!!
Can we see pics?
Maybe you can split the coop into sections for breeding?

I’m not ok with culling anything at this point
Oh, well, then best not be breeding....if you breed and hatch with either broody or incubator, you'll need to cull.

Wow, that sounds Great!!
Can we see pics?

Oh, well, then best not be breeding....if you breed and hatch with either broody or incubator, you'll need to cull.
Why is that? I can get rid of them to good homes , trade, and keep one Rooster then take all the eggs from there on out

Wow, that sounds Great!!
Can we see pics?

^^x2
Pictures would be great! You do have enough room to potentially separate out the space and get a second rooster for breeding, but as @aart said, you will want to be comfortable culling or having your excess cockerels culled before you start hatching! Otherwise in 3-4 months after those cute little fluff balls arrive under the hens, you will be right in the position you’re asking how to avoid x 1/2 of the number of eggs you let hatch.

Thanks for asking before jumping into hatching... (for you chickens sake!) and welcome to BYC!

217CEC6D-0EF5-4E1C-80B3-A6EE6F25D62F.png 742E8196-2B05-437E-B8DD-924898645F3A.png 39FA85CC-B063-4155-8779-06AAEFF1C317.png Here’s a few pics

Attachments

• 8B8549CE-9595-4334-AD63-EB3DF6ACC31F.png
    8B8549CE-9595-4334-AD63-EB3DF6ACC31F.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • 77BE8FE6-0E7C-4148-B7FE-4D48B380F8DD.png
    77BE8FE6-0E7C-4148-B7FE-4D48B380F8DD.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • 3283986D-EED4-4C14-B317-0DB95EE43A3E.png
    3283986D-EED4-4C14-B317-0DB95EE43A3E.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom