Adding a new Rooster

You've given out a little more information. I'm still not totally sure I know your goals with roosters or why you want another, but it sounds like it is not for fertilizing eggs. I agree with the others, if you can't handle extra roosters you don't need to be hatching. You never know how many will hatch or how many of either sex you will get. Very few of my hatches actually split 50-50. Most are in the range of 2/3 or 3/4 one sex or the other and that's hatching around 20 chicks at a time.

If the reason you want a rooster is that you like roosters, you may have other options. You may not like these options but I'll still mention some.

You can divide your coop/run into two sections or build additional facilities and bring in a mature rooster after your pullets become hens. Keep two separate flocks. The potential downside of this is that you may have biosecurity issues. It's always possible that you could bring in a disease or parasites with a new chicken. Lots of people do this and never have issues. A proper quarantine can help, but it's always possible you could introduce something. That's why I personally only bring in new chickens by hatching them myself or buy directly from an established hatchery. The risk of getting chicks from a feed store is pretty low so that's an option, but not as low as hatching your eggs or getting chicks straight from a hatchery.

Then there is the issue of what do you do with a chicken that quarantine shows to be sick. Do you try to pass a sick chicken off to someone else or do you kill him yourself? You need a plan for contingencies.

Hatcheries are not going to sell just one chick. Most have a minimum order of 15, some even 25, so they can keep each other warm while in shipping. There are a few, like MyPetChicken or Cackle, that will ship fewer, sometimes as few as three if your post office is a regional center. For most of us that minimum number is higher. They put artificial heat in with the chicks to keep them warm. Feed stores often have a minimum of six chicks. That's an attempt to avoid cruelty to animals.

One way to get around this minimum number is find a buddy to split an order with you. You might find a neighbor on the Kentucky state thread in the "Where am I? Where are you!" section of this forum. Hatcheries will often mark certain chicks in an order if you ask them, usually by putting a dot of food coloring on the head.

It is challenging to raise just one chick by itself. They are social animals and really need company to do well. You may want a couple of pullets to raise with your cockerel. Another option would be to get several males and raise them together. Instead of creating two different flocks with a rooster and hens, create a bachelor pad. If cockerels and roosters don't have females to fight over they usually can be kept together quite peacefully. They are still going to set up a pecking order but a flock of all hens will do that too. Often it's not that bad.

I'll mention these options but encourage you to not use any of them. When you deal with living animals you sometimes have to deal with dead animals, whether that is dogs, cats, goldfish, or chickens. I'm not sure how well you can handle that. Sometimes an animal is suffering so much it is a mercy to put it out of its pain. It's cruel to let it suffer. But mostly chickens can be bullies. They can treat each other brutally. The more you crowd them the more likely that kind of behavior is. That behavior often shows up when you integrate new chickens. If what you have now is working for you, don't push it.

Unfortunately I’ve lost several chicks and I will put something out of its misery need be thank you guys for all your intelligence on this matter, I greatly appreciate it

Thank you for understanding that our suggestions aren’t a personal attack... just suggestions based on our personal experiences. It’s amazing to me how many people will ask for help then get defensive or very upset if the answer isn’t what they wanted to hear. I find my Roosters to be a great joy (even when they are being little jerks) and I like the dynamic they bring to my flocks. I’ve got specific breeding goals in mind though. And I have found some of them to be an asset when free ranging. People here are quite spit on weather or not they are worth the feed and sometimes frustration.

My first hatch and first chick purchase (10/4 ratio of cockerels to pullet chicks!) left me with lots of boys, and I ran into challenges with them. I’ve only been keeping chickens for a year though, and am by no means an expert. For a small backyard flock of 10 birds or less I would agree roosters just aren’t worth all the potential problems, but in larger flocks like yours I think they are part of the natural flock dynamic. It also sounds like you have a good cockerel there who isn’t abusing the ladies or making your chicken experience miserable.

5ADFD915-CA63-4615-A34F-5EA64C9D4006.png 5012516C-3C43-431B-B29B-9867BCF57908.jpeg
It also sounds like you have a good cockerel there who isn’t abusing the ladies or making your chicken experience miserable.
So far yes but he’s only like five months old his name is Russell ( Crowe) lol and he pecked everyone to the ground when I first got him but he had to to establish himself, now he’s pretty good and tries hard already to protect from predators it’s so cute

Ok I wasn’t going to have this convo but I can’t help myself , someone in here said they usually cull their cockerels at 14 weeks ( first off I’m one of those weirdos trying to never kill anything on a farm which I’m aware to most is just unnatural) My question is why kill them at 14?weeks? That’s so odd to me. Why not kill them the second you sex them? What’s the since in allowing them to live just to kill them ? I don’t get it

Ok I wasn’t going to have this convo but I can’t help myself , someone in here said they usually cull their cockerels at 14 weeks ( first off I’m one of those weirdos trying to never kill anything on a farm which I’m aware to most is just unnatural) My question is why kill them at 14?weeks? That’s so odd to me. Why not kill them the second you sex them? What’s the since in allowing them to live just to kill them ? I don’t get it
Because you can't sex them straight away unless you have autosexed chicks. It can take weeks to work out if you have a cockerel or not. Plus they get to have a happy life. And they won't die in vain. I'm not excited about culling our cockerels, and I'd love it if it could work but we won't keep them if they cause misery. Fortunately my cockerel is going from the friendliest to not so my attachment is definitely lessening. I'm on a fast learning curve. This has been an excellent and informative read on this topic.

My question is why kill them at 14?weeks? That’s so odd to me. Why not kill them the second you sex them? What’s the since in allowing them to live just to kill them ? I don’t get it
well so you can eat them. They are a little scrawny, but tasty.
Exactly!!

I raise chickens for food, not pets, food that I raised myself in conditions better than the factory farms where grocery eggs and meat come from.
I want to hatch replacement layers from my own flock, I only need one male to do that, so I have to deal with the 50%(or more) males that will hatch. I have hatched a sexlink cross, and those males went to a raptor rescue frozen whole for feed at 5 days old.
14 weeks is just about when cockerels become sexually active, causing chaos, massive stress, and sometimes injuries within the flock. I don't have the separate facilities to grow them out larger and they are also still tender enough at 14 weeks to put on the grill. It's the perfect time, for my goals and set up, to slaughter them for eating.
I also slaughter older hens in the fall so my coop is not too crowded during winter for the birds to be comfortable and not crowded.

Do you eat meat, @J99 , chicken in particular?

Back
Top Bottom