Adding a rooster to my flock ... ?

Hi all, I am contemplating adding a rooster to my flock of 10 ten month old hens. If I get one, can he be around 4-6 months old? Will my girls behavior change towards me? They come when called (especially for blueberries). I don’t want to change how they act, but think it would be fun and protective to add a rooster.

Hi there, I see you're in Bucks County, Pa. I'm at the Jersey Shore and it just so happens that my 2 silver laced wyandottes that are 17 weeks might be roosters....still having trouble telling. If it's the case, I will gladly give one of both of them to a loving home. I hand raised all 6 of these chickens; they're all named and loved like our dogs.

Hi there, I see you're in Bucks County, Pa. I'm at the Jersey Shore and it just so happens that my 2 silver laced wyandottes that are 17 weeks might be roosters....still having trouble telling. If it's the case, I will gladly give one of both of them to a loving home. I hand raised all 6 of these chickens; they're all named and loved like our dogs.
Read the whole thread ;) they have decided against getting any males.

Thank you! I’ve decided against a rooster for the time being.

P1280840.JPG

*** Edited to add: Even with the bushes, I would still advocate strongly for a net. As you can see above, we've got mature bushes galore - and the hawk would still have made off with a meal without the net- with me standing right there***

Yesterday my flock was attacked by a hawk. It went right for my momma hen and her little nuggets. The only reason nobody got hurt or killed is my HAWK NET. It BOUNCED off. Then dove down another try - bounced again. And by the way- I was standing no more than 10 feet from momma and babies away when the ****er attacked.

P1280880.JPG

So, I implore you in the strongest possible terms- buy a hawk net. Install it immediately, as tight as you can make it over your ENTIRE fenced area, INCLUDING over your coop (which is gorgeous!!!).

It's zip-tied every 6 inches. Also a couple of posts in the ground can help elevate the net to make it so you can still walk around comfortably- and also if a hawk does dive, you want the most air space between his talons and your birds. It's all but invisible unless you look straight up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075DDM159/?tag=backy-20
Run.JPG
P1280857.JPG

Last edited:
View attachment 1858050
*** Edited to add: Even with the bushes, I would still advocate strongly for a net. As you can see above, we've got mature bushes galore - and the hawk would still have made off with a meal without the net- with me standing right there***

Yesterday my flock was attacked by a hawk. It went right for my momma hen and her little nuggets. The only reason nobody got hurt or killed is my HAWK NET. It BOUNCED off. Then dove down another try - bounced again. And by the way- I was standing no more than 10 feet from momma and babies away when the ****er attacked.

View attachment 1858036

So, I implore you in the strongest possible terms- buy a hawk net. Install it immediately, as tight as you can make it over your ENTIRE fenced area, INCLUDING over your coop (which is gorgeous!!!).

It's zip-tied every 6 inches. Also a couple of posts in the ground can help elevate the net to make it so you can still walk around comfortably- and also if a hawk does dive, you want the most air space between his talons and your birds. It's all but invisible unless you look straight up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075DDM159/?tag=backy-20
View attachment 1858042 View attachment 1858037

Thank you!!! I will look into it. Glad your babies are ok! Scary!!

Nice setup you have, too!

Thank you! I’ve decided against a rooster for the time being.
Thank you!!! I will look into it. Glad your babies are ok! Scary!!

Nice setup you have, too!

Thanks! Yes, very scary. It's one of those moments where all you can do is stand there and blink with the "did that just happen!?!?!" look. Poor momma hen took her babies up by the coop and hid them under the ramp the rest of the day. It was at least an hour before everyone started to calm down, but no blood was shed. :ya

P1280816.JPG

Attachments

• P1280840.JPG
    P1280840.JPG
    1,021.1 KB · Views: 2
the thought of him roughing them up is upsetting
I know you have decided against, but for future readers it is generally not a problem. However, do be aware that roosters always have a favorite. That poor girl will wind up with a bare back. You may want to get one of those aprons for your flock and put it on the favorite. She will be easy to identify

I know you’ve already decided but depending on what you like a rooster can either make your flock 10 x better or 10 x worse

Thank you! My fear is the 10 x worse! I have a very stable and harmonious flock right now, although my barred rock has decided to take the rooster role and is mounting my buff Orpington :barnie

Back
Top Bottom