Adding A rooster

TexasSam

Free Ranging
Jul 27, 2017
Weatherford Texas
I have A flock with A 6 to seven month old rooster he has 8 hens. I also have A bantam Cochin rooster and hen the rooster doesn't bother them they were added later and kept separate until they were bigger. I just got some self blue Ameraucanas and they are also separated for know. My question is I am thinking about getting two more wheaten or blue hens and A Ameraucana rooster do I need to do something to keep them from killing each other. The rooster I have know is A mix I think

I have A rooster and 8 hens in one group then A bantam rooster and hen both are Cochin's and two self blue Ameraucana hens and I just added but they are separated from the rest right now. I am wanting to add two more Ameraucana hens and A rooster and basically create A new flock of only Ameraucanas with 4 hens and A rooster. So three separate flocks in the same one acre

I have one Rooster and 7 Hens....My Hens have hatched out Chicks since Christmas...I had two young Cockerels that were maturing and my Rooster was starting to chase and fight them...I gave the two Cockerels away..I'm thinking things might not work out to well for you?..Plus if your wanted to breed pure Chickens it won't happen unless you separate each breed in their own pens...

Yeah if you are wanting to breed you will need to keep only the birds you are breeding together. The best way to start introducing them to each other is by using a divided enclosure to allow them to get comfortable with each other before you actually put them together. I definitely would not put the roos together. Each rooster needs about 8-10 hens to their selves to keep them from over mating just a few. This can get hard on the hens. If you are planning three separate flocks you'll need three separate coops with runs. Then you can use a dog crate to add any new birds to the flock until they get acquainted. Otherwise they will most likely see them as an intruder and attack them. I would definitely get them associated in the right coops before adding any more birds. Once you have them all sorted then you can get more and add them in the same manner.

Each rooster needs about 8-10 hens to their selves to keep them from over mating just a few.
Well, not really. The 10:1 ratio is from fertility efficacy in commercial flocks.
How well multiple males coexist is another story. Multiple males can bring out the worst of all their behaviors due to competition.

I am wanting to add two more Ameraucana hens and A rooster and basically create A new flock of only Ameraucanas with 4 hens and A rooster. So three separate flocks in the same one acre
House all cock/erels separately 24/7 with their breed of females if you want pure breeds.

It will be complicated, and there's no sure way to know ahead of time how cockerels will get along, as they mature into cocks. Come next spring, all bets are off again too. Having separate pens, so different breeding groups stay together, and free range on different days, would be one way to manage. My birds are housed together except during breeding season, and it works pretty well for me. Last winter I had 45 birds, including 5 cocks , and in spring, some fighting developed, so two of the cocks moved elsewhere, with a few hens. Right now I'm raising chicks and haven't decided which cockerels will be staying; at least ten of them will be leaving at first cull, and then the three who stay might stay for the winter, depending. I do like to have the adult cocks and a cockerel of each as a backup. Mary

I have one Rooster and 7 Hens....My Hens have hatched out Chicks since Christmas...I had two young Cockerels that were maturing and my Rooster was starting to chase and fight them...I gave the two Cockerels away..I'm thinking things might not work out to well for you?..Plus if your wanted to breed pure Chickens it won't happen unless you separate each breed in their own pens...
I separated them at night but they are free during the day. My bantams sleep with the big guys but hang by their selves during the day

Yeah if you are wanting to breed you will need to keep only the birds you are breeding together. The best way to start introducing them to each other is by using a divided enclosure to allow them to get comfortable with each other before you actually put them together. I definitely would not put the roos together. Each rooster needs about 8-10 hens to their selves to keep them from over mating just a few. This can get hard on the hens. If you are planning three separate flocks you'll need three separate coops with runs. Then you can use a dog crate to add any new birds to the flock until they get acquainted. Otherwise they will most likely see them as an intruder and attack them. I would definitely get them associated in the right coops before adding any more birds. Once you have them all sorted then you can get more and add them in the same manner.
I built A new coop and two runs side by side when I added the two self blue Ameraucana hens and they have been there sense I got them

Well, not really. The 10:1 ratio is from fertility efficacy in commercial flocks.
How well multiple males coexist is another story. Multiple males can bring out the worst of all their behaviors due to competition.

House all cock/erels separately 24/7 with their breed of females if you want pure breeds.
So basically only let the hens out

Back
Top Bottom