Adding a rooster

Santa Fe Strong

In the Brooder
Sep 16, 2017
Hey everyone and let me thank you ahead time for you thoughts.
I have 4 hens (Barrad Rock) that are laying age, I have added 8 more hens (4 hampshire red & 4 ameraucanas) are now 4 months old. They get along for the most part. Older ones are dominant but don’t really hurt the others. I think it’s a mutual agreement to stay away from the home lol.
Last weekend I got a rooster (Barrad Rock) and he’s 2 months old. I have kept him caged since I got him. Half the flock wants him, some seem to not care. Now I have 2 of the 4 ameraucanas that are dominant in the group of 8. Today I took the rooster out to introduce him briefly. The most dominant ameraucana right away wanted to fight. It was very brief as I stayed very close to him. I knew the hens were going to do something. How long will I have to keep doing this before he’s accepted? Is there something different I can do?

Keep doing that until you feel comfortable leaving him out without supervision. Sometimes it goes easy, others not so easy. He's still a baby so the older ones will dominate him. Don't rush it.

Keep doing that until you feel comfortable leaving him out without supervision. Sometimes it goes easy, others not so easy. He's still a baby so the older ones will dominate him. Don't rush it.
He’s so young that hasn’t even done a full crow yet. Wired because the oldest ones didn’t give him any attention. The 4 HR I think are close to laying. They have started squatting down and let me pet them. Every bird I’ve ever had including my turkeys last year would do that when they get close to starting. The BR and HR paid no mind to him, but he was only out for about 5 minutes. Well see, I hope it doesn’t take very long, I need that chicken tractor for my meat birds lol.

Last edited:
Update, he is establishing himself. The one that was dominant hen has chilled out after the last tussle. He’s still separated from the rest for now. It’s still too new to leave him alone with them. Will continue doing this for awhile.

Back
Top Bottom