Adding A Run To A Wood Shed Coop?

This is the wood shed I wanted to buy but now realize when reading the fine print that it cannot be shipped to Florida:
Too bad, that's a nice shed!
Love that it actually has roof overhangs, many do not.

Runs is too small for 10 birds.

I will wait until a later date to get the chickens.
Very Good Move!
Best to get your housing all set before getting the birds,
especially if you're not handy enough to fix things 'on the fly'.

All of the DIY building stores around here have sheds which can be built by the owner or by store-recommended or employed crews. Since you’re in Florida (south? central? north? Just curious... I used to live near Winter Haven), you won’t need as large a shed. Your girls will, at worst, be confined for a few days for rain/hurricanes. (Hope you’re not on the coast...) No Florida cold I ever experienced in 30+ years living there will require your chickens to remain inside once they’re a month or so old.

You’ll want a great big run and at least 4 interior sq ft per bird. More is better within reason. Easier to keep clean, more room for chicken math. My first chicken math experience came when the hatchery sent me an extra 4 birds just in case. They’ll do that, and more when they have a surplus. I did not have room for them of course, so they all got moved to the nearby tool shed (when a blizzard threatened) and the tools got a new shed of their own.

My run has wooden posts (cemented in) on the corners and on either side of the gates & a couple midway on the longest stretch. It’s not scientific... just what I felt comfortable with. T-posts every 10’ where there’s no wood post. I also used 2x4” 6’ tall welded wire fencing. Since the shed is completely enclosed there’s no real need for a pop door. It would be tricky but not terribly difficult to make one because the shed is metal. Don’t get a metal or plastic shed if you can help it. You’ll wish for walls that are easier to attach things to if you do. Chain link would be easier but I felt it would be harder to secure from predators, particularly the gates. As it has turned out, that hasn’t yet proven to be a big concern. If you want a ceiling to protect from raptors, you can get gamebird netting on Amazon, but you’ll have to support it in the middle of the run with some sort of posts with a crosspiece (T) on top.

I simply cut a 12”*12 rectangle at the back of my shed and added the run there. I just drilled a hole large enough for a hacksaw blade and cut the rectangle out.

At the front, there’s a regular door. Nesting boxes were plastic basins, using soil as ballast.

Space-wise, this link is useful - Space requirements

I will wait until a later date to get the chickens.

Probably the best option. I think too many people get into trouble by buying the chicks before the coop - especially since you stated you don't want to do any building. Having a coop set up before you get your chicks reduces anxiety.

That was a nice looking shed. As to the run, I think it would be too small for many birds, if you use the 10 square feet per bird recommendation. Nice build, but it is small. Also, I am at an age where I prefer to stand up in both my coop and chicken run. At less than 4 feet tall, you would be bending over all the time. A friend visited my coop and run and told me that her mistake was having a chicken run where she had to bend over all the time - and she was 20 years younger than me.

Do you have a handyman in your area that can build to your specs? I think your heading in the right direction with a prebuilt wood shed and pre fab run (if you can find one big enough). Putting it all together would be an easy job for any handyman worth his salt.
Do you have any businesses where you live that sell just tool sheds? They will build them to your specs also. ie. add doors and windows where you want them, add electrical, your choice of paint and so forth.

Back
Top Bottom