Adding a Speckled Sussex?

Miss Sue

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 19, 2007
Connecticut
Later in the spring we want to get a couple of female chicks to eventually add to our small flock of two (one Blue Orp. hen and one Polish hen).

Do you all think that a Speckled Sussex and a Golden Campine would go well with that group? Or would additional Polish be better? How about a Barred Rock?

Our sweet white-crested black Polish is pretty shy, and the Orp. will likely boss her around a bit. (They're still in separate pens right now.) I especially don't want a group that will pick on the Polish hen; she has such pretty feathers.

A friend of mine told me that her Speckled Sussex were the nicest and friendliest of all her 20 chickens. And the Golden Campine--I just liked the way they looked at the poultry show.

I would get the new girls as chicks and eventually put them in with the others when they're big enough. We only have room for four total.

Thanks for any advice.

Susan

I have heard wonderful things about the sussex- and they are so pretty. I havent heard anything about Campine, but buff orpingtons are also very friendly to people and other hens.

Chicken behavior is more influenced by the particular bird than the breed characteristics, so I think you have posed a question without an answer. Whenever you introduce new hens or roosters to an established flock, there is going to be conflict while they work out the pecking order.

With that said, my Speckled Sussex have a good temperment. The eggs are a pale, milky brown color. They contrast the darker Maran and Sex Link eggs very nicely. I like my dozen to look as un-uniform as possible, and adding Sussex and Cornish gave me some lighter brown options.

love.gif
Get the Speckled Sussex...you won't regret it. I LOVE mine. They are so pretty and friendly.

I don’t know anything about the Golden Campine’s…but I do have one little bantam Golden Campine she is very talkative...she's a cutie; follows me around watching every thing I do, but she does not like it when I pick her up...I picked her out in a mixed order of bantam’s at the feed store. Thought she was cute and wanted to see what she would turn out to be.
smile.png

Mitzi

Last edited:
I don't know about any but the barred rocks and ss. I love barred rocks. They are one of the most persistant layers,even throughout the cold months. They have great personality but can be bossy. You can't beat SS for looks. They vary so much in speckled coverage and are calm curious birds. They are not the best Winter layers,but watch out when Spring arrives. They can't be beat. The hot Summer didn't even stop them. Personally I like the barred rock egg better,large and brown. I've found the ss eggs to be small to medium and are a creamy color. Heck, get both!

Orpington & Polish tend to get bullied at times!

they should have the upper hand because they were there first!

I don't know about SS but, people who have them love them!

Plymouth Rocks are Great!
love.gif

Thanks, everyone, for the advice. I have some good ideas now about what to get when we do order chicks.

Several people mentioned their Barred Rocks, which we like too. Our two got taken by a coyote back in December. They were sweet and friendly and the first ones to come when I called. They always assumed that whatever I was carrying was food for them. Chickens are so funny.

Susan

Back
Top Bottom