Adding birds to new flock

SGP

In the Brooder
May 6, 2018
Eastern WA
I have a brand new flock of 12 chickens between four and six weeks old (mostly 5-6 weeks old, with one 4 week old) that have been moved to their coop five days ago and are doing well. We recently acquired three Polish chicks who turned two weeks old today. They are in a separate brooder because they were too small to add in with the older birds. Now I am worried about how to integrate them into the larger flock, especially since they are Polish chicks and I am told this breed is particularly difficult to integrate due to their different feathering. Are my other birds already old enough to start becoming territorial? Any suggestions on how to integrate Polish chickens and when to do it?

I don't have any suggestions with Polish chickens specifically, but I have found that if you add the new chickens to the coop after dark, everything is much calmer in the morning. Still normal pecking order stuff, but not the whole flock picking on the "new guys". Good luck with your introduction!

I've read the best method is the "See but no touch" method is the best ... Section of an area of your coop with wire or a wire cage to put the new ones in with food/water, the flock can see them but not hurt them for a few weeks. I've also read, never had the breed, (due to the feathering of the Polish, they tend to get their (head) feathers plucked alot. So I'd read up more and see what those experienced with Polish have to say. Best of wishes and glad you joined us :welcome

I integrated 6 7 week olds in with our 13 ten month old girls. Did it just the way SMorrison7k said, put them in the coop after dark. It all worked out fine, just make sure you have time in the morning when you let them out to observe them for an hour or so to make sure things don't get out of hand

Back
Top Bottom