Adding chickens after Marek’s

Gardengreener

In the Brooder
Nov 22, 2023
Hello all, looking for some advice if you were in my opinion. I planned on having all hens in my flock ( haha) we have a beautiful rooster Buffy, my flock has been dealing with Mareks and in no way did I want to add chickens to a sick flock but now I only have our rooster and a few hens left. He has been healthy and I can’t stand to euthanize him and I had no luck rehoming. If this was you would you add vaccinated hens or get rid of your rooster?? I feel like Im in between a rock in a hard place because I don’t want to put other chickens at risk l. Thank you all for any advice

The best thing I can see being done, is culling remaining sick birds, & wait 2-3yrs before adding new birds too the property.

FYI: Never Rehome Sick Chickens.

The best thing I can see being done, is culling remaining sick birds, & wait 2-3yrs before adding new birds too the property.

FYI: Never Rehome Sick Chickens.
Oh yes I would never rehome a sick chicken, we tried rehoming him a few months ago after realizing he was a rooster before we knew of any illness. Thanks

This does not work with Marek’s. It stays in the environment. Culling and starting over doesn’t work and 2-3 years is not long enough for the virus to be guaranteed to die. The new birds would very likely be reinfected.
Everything I've read said it only lasts about 2yrs in the environment. Even on this site.

Back
Top Bottom