Adding Chickens to the Flock

If it's ok to hop on this thread. I have tomorrow set as my introduction day and was thinking I'd let the new girls out into the run while I let the original flock free range. Should I let the new girls free range with the original flock later in the day or try to herd the original flock back in the run for introductions?
I would do it exactly as you wrote. After the newbies have explored the run for maybe half the day you can open the door to the run and let them go out and free-range with the older birds or they can stay in the run and the older birds can join them in there. Whatever they want to do. Bear in mind that it takes months for full integration to occur. You are going to see two sub flocks for quite some time.

I would do it exactly as you wrote. After the newbies have explored the run for maybe half the day you can open the door to the run and let them go out and free-range with the older birds or they can stay in the run and the older birds can join them in there. Whatever they want to do. Bear in mind that it takes months for full integration to occur. You are going to see two sub flocks for quite some time.
One of the original hens has been a little bossy with them and in general the older hens stayed together and the new ones stayed together. The rooster seemed to divide his time. The new girls still slept on thier old roost last night.Today he tried several times to keep them all in one flock. They are all on the roost bar in the coop tonight! The barred rock girl was all by herself on the far side, the little red hen was snuggled up with the roo.

Back
Top Bottom