Adding chicks to established flock

riflchik

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 5, 2013
I'm adding three 8-9 week chicks and their mama to my already established flock of mature birds. I'm confused about how to keep the chicks on their baby food while keeping the big girls out of it. Suggestions? I'm hoping not to need to keep them separate much longer. The space they have next to the main run is going to be too small soon.

You have to feed all birds flock raiser or grower feed and provide oyster shell in a separate container for layers.

There's no simple way to keep the chicks from eating layer feed.
About the only option is to put the hen feed high enough the chicks can't access it and to put chick feed in a container the hen's heads can't get into (complicated) or build a containment system so only the chicks can enter to get their feed (also complicated).

Everyone is all together tonight, grower crumble in the feeder. Do I need to keep the oyster shell out of the reach of the babies? Or will they leave it alone since their bodies don't want it yet?

I had a similar problem and ended up with the same solution as you. I wanted to keep the foods separate but could not figure out a way to do it so just converted the main feeder from layer to grower and added oyster shell in a separate feeder.

My situation was made worse by the fact that i can get layer food for free but have to pay for the grower so it's a hardship to me to have to feed everyone the grower feed.

I have a similar question. I understand about the food; but, I have 7 guinea keets and 4 white leghorn chicks, all 5wks old, no broody hens, when is it safe to let them in with the big girls. The little ones are outgrowing their space. They have been in a space in the main coop, but separated for 3wks. The older hens just seem to be interested in their food, but I do have one Brahma that literally rules the roost. What age is best for introducing the babies? I'm wondering if I should just build a larger space to keep them in for a longer period.

OY! I never knew chickens would be so complicated when I got started!

I would also love more information on the subject of introducing chickies to an established flock....I recently (2 months ago) added two leghorn pullets to my flock of 6 two year old ladies who started off together as "the original" grouping, and after some careful navigating, was able to be comfortable with the hierarchy the girls finally created. Dee & Dum (appropriately named after "Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dumb") have settled in nicely, and it is hilarious to watch our older Japanese Bantam boss them around! However, we just added two new bantams- a silkie (Sookie) and a frizzle (Diamond. Can you guess which one my 5 year old named?)- and I am nervous about letting them integrate, being that they are still rather small and definitely have a different...fluffier...? (does appearance matter to chickens?!) look. However, to address your question (I was getting there, lol) it seems that when there are two or more, they can settle in better than flying solo- strength in numbers, perhaps!

Like numbers and like sizes is the best tack with introducing new birds. Yes, never do a single bird.
Silkies can be especially vulnerable because of their diminished vision, they're not fast and can't fly so can be brutalized when added to an established flock.

Chickens aren't complicated if you start with all the birds you can adequately house and keep it at that.
It is also extremely helpful to have multiple housing options.

Back
Top Bottom