adding chicks to more chicks?

Singlemaple

Songster
9 Years
Jan 27, 2010
Merrimack NH
I have 8 one week old chicks ( they're my new roe's ) and i was wondering if i can add my 35 day old chicks i just got with them? the roo's are very friendly i hold them daily.

would it be save to do that? I would put them in a 3 foot tall and wide dog crate that is 4 and a half feet long they would only need to be in there for 2 maybe 3 weeks till my 12 and 9 week olds are big enough to join my big flock.

would it be safe or should i just keep them separate?

i would not

that too much of an age gap and your chicks will get killed

i added 4 week old to 6 week old and i was worried

but after a few days they where ok

but 8 weeks seems alot to me for only 5 week old

let the 5 weekers get to 8 weeks then the others will be 11 weeks and then should be ok as 2 month old can fight back if they get attacked

If it were me, I would wait one week until the babies are a little bigger and then try to integrate them. I personally have not tried something like this so I don't know if your roosters will be a problem. Watch them closely and if there's any problems, separate them. Hope that helps.
big_smile.png

Okay thanks guys..

Yeah i have quite and age gap i hatched 27 chicks then started some more eggs and they hatched exsactly 3 weeks after the others lol they have been integrated for weeks and are fine...

then i have 5 cuckoo marrans i bought 2 weeks ago they are almost 6 wks old now how should i integrate those girls with the 12 and 9 week olds?

thanks so much guys!

my dad wanted alot more chickens this year i said i was fine with 30...... we now have 115 lol 20 are roosters 10 are heading to freezer camp end of the month 2 roosters are staying to train the 8 that are only a week old and then they are going.
we are going to keep 60 laying hens and 6 roosters...
we have space for 200 birds in our current set up but my dad wants to make it bigger lol..

Last edited:
Wow, that's a lot of chickens!!! I can't even imagine having that many, I have four laying hens LOL!
If you need to integrate and the ages are close, give it a try. It's a lot easier than having them in three different spots, right? Good luck with all those chickens!
BTW, you're not too far from me! I live in Lebanon, Maine and go to merrimack every once in a while... nice town. The tough part about keeping chickens in New England is the SNOW. I hate the snow removal, it's such a pain in the neck to have to shovel all the way to the coop then clear all the snow off everything so it doesn't get too heavy. YUCK! We were lucky this year (I think we'll pay later in the Summer with drought) and didn't have much snow to shovel. That was a nice change. Good luck with your integration and don't forget, watch for picking/pecking!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom