Adding chicks with other chicks

Shaniko1158

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2021
I have seven 4.5 week old chicks who have been in outside coop for a week with a heated box that they use at night. Temps are 70s and 80s during the day, 30s and 40s at night. I also have three 3 week old chicks who have been inside with temps 77-84. Would it be okay to mix all 10 together in the outside coop? Coop is 24x36 inches and pen is 4x8 feet.

At their ages you may need to do an introduction through a fence if there is pecking when you add the younger ones. The older ones are at that age when they may pick on the younger ones. I would try combining them and see. If necessary separate them by a fence for a week or so.

In the coop only, or access to coop and pen? The coop is 6 sq ft, even without the younger chicks there's not space in there for the older chicks to be locked in without outside access.

Otherwise, they're young and only a week apart so it shouldn't be too hard to introduce them. You can put them together and then observe to make sure that there's not any picking/bullying issues bad enough to cause injury or prevent birds from eating and drinking. If so, they'll need to be separated (but able to see each other) to acclimate to one another before being moved in together.

Back
Top Bottom