Adding chicks

Chickywolf

Chirping
Jul 15, 2015
near Lake Ontario NYS
Well, I have 7 chicks that are 2 weeks old now and I think I want a few more.
My question is; can I just put the new babies in with the first batch or should I set up another whole pen for them?

The rule of thumb is you never put larger chicks with smaller chicks they will bully until the smaller ones are dead. when the smaller ones are full of strength and grow nice wings and shoulder feathers that might be a good time to introduce them but supervise it carefully, if there is any pecking at the feet,beak,eyes, or head aggressively then you need to wait a week then introduce them again, what I did since I didnt have two brooders is I just put distractions in the brooder such as duct tape, they like shiny things, and you can also put a button on a hanging string, they like things that move because they like to chase, and every morning I also cut some thin grass up as small as I can get it and sprinkle it all around the brooder and they actually get there vitamins and protein they need through little bugs you find outside and grass. so there is no need for medicated water or food, you just need to give em a taste for things outside. Hope this helped, much love

If your brooder is large enough, you can also just separate them with about a 6'' wall of cardboard. HOWEVER, you always take the risk of transferring any disease your new chicks come home with if you don't have a period of quarantine. So really it is wiser to have two separate brooders. But if not, use a divider and take the risk.

I'm new to chicken raising but here is my experience so far --

My first chicks were bought the beginning of March and were one week old Dixie Rainbows which are fast growing huge birds. A couple days later I bought some 1 week old Penedesencas. A couple days after that I bought some day old Ameraucana's, Welsummers and Dominiques.

A week after that I bought some more day old chicks and the last ones I just got were last Friday and they were 1 week old Brahmas.

All the chicks are together and the the Brahmas look tiny compared to the others but they are doing well. I have not seen any of the larger chicks, especially the Dixie Rainbows, picking on them. The Dixie's tower over all the others and already look like teenagers! The only squabbling I've seen is between chicks of relatively the same size.

At such a young age they don't appear to have a clear pecking order. I am not adding anymore at this point because I would not add day old chicks to the flock at this point. My understanding is that once they have a pecking order, you would not want to just add more. There would need to be an introductory process before releasing new ones into the existing flock.

So whether or not I've done this right by adding chicks of different ages and sizes over the last month, I've had no problems with doing so. If you add more, just keep and eye on them and make sure they are not getting bullied and if they are, separate them out until they get a bit bigger.

welcome-byc.gif

Pretty much depends on what you're using for a brooder, how much space they have.

I use the livestock troughs. I had 23, 2-3 week old chicks in mine yesterday. Was at the feed store and they had light Brahmas available, I bought 4. Brought them home and plopped them in the brooder with the older chicks. Everyone is fine this morning. I've usually got a rolling hatch going with my incubator and add chicks each week. But, the key is having a lot of space. If you're brooding in a small plastic tote, they may well be too crowded and the littles will get pecked or squished.

If this helps, here's a pic I just took of my chicks so you can see the disparity in sizes. Notice the tiny new Brahma in the center. They still all pile up together under the light when it's nap time.

hugs.gif
Oh thank you everyone for all the great advice! I am definitely going to get a few more chicks now that I know what to do about their housing. I'll start them out with the others and watch them close to see how it goes and make decisions as I need to.

I just love this site! It's like having chicken loving friends to share with any time you need them. I'm feeling the love!

hugs.gif
Oh thank you everyone for all the great advice! I am definitely going to get a few more chicks now that I know what to do about their housing. I'll start them out with the others and watch them close to see how it goes and make decisions as I need to.

I just love this site! It's like having chicken loving friends to share with any time you need them. I'm feeling the love!
Let us know how it goes when you add the new chicks! Again, just keep an eye on them and remove them if you see any issues with the bigger ones picking on the new additions. I'm voting it's going to go just fine! :}

Well I got 6 more chicks from TSC 2 days ago. 4 tiny ones and 2 around the same age as my first batch.
I'm happy to report that they are all doing fine and getting along very well. The first hour was quite noisy as they were all getting to know each other then I gave them a treat of some cornmeal and after that they all took a nap and woke up friends. No one is being picked on and they all seem happy and so am I. Here is a pic of them (not all of them, some were on the other side of the box eating).
I love the little nap time pile-up in the corner!

Back
Top Bottom