Adding duck eggs to day 11 of incubating chicken eggs

Peppermint

Songster
9 Years
May 25, 2010
Woodinville, Washington
So I've been reading here furiously...I'm doing a favor for someone who has lost a drake and wants to incubate her lovely pair's last eggs. I'm on day 11 of incubating my chicken eggs,and the duck eggs will be added tomorrow. So, the duck eggs will be at the ideal chicken egg humidity for about 8-10 days, and once they hatch I will make it totally proper humidity for duck eggs. But in the mean time, do I mist the duck eggs because they need a higher humidity? Or should I just turn them more frequently??? I have a Genesis 1588 HovaBator.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Last edited:
I always gauge the humidity by looking at the eggs themselves rather than a hyrgometer to know if they have enough or two little. If they are not at the right size for that stage of incubation I lower or raise humidity for a few days accordingly. The size of the aircell can even vary between eggs- so while the actual reading is still important- you can have the eggs in together and still have things right for when the duck eggs are due to hatch.

But what is the optimum humidity for my situation? My chicken eggs I keep at 35-40%, but I think that's going to be too low for the duck eggs. I could mist them occasionally to help get some direct moisture into the eggs...

The eggs were really poopy. I had to wash them off with a wet papertowel. I hope that isn't going to hurt them...I know it isn't ideal, but the thought of warm humid poop in my incubator
sickbyc.gif

wow what a coincidence. My drake got airlifted today I think by a hawk. he just vanished so added a few duck eggs to my chick hatch at 14 days. did wash them a bit too cause would rather have no poop mud near chick eggs than have the ducks. just had to try he was so good to his girls. and I felt bad for them wandering around the yard calling and looking for him. we will see never did duck eggs just chicken.

Its not likely to cause too much of an issue early on- especially if the eggs are very fresh. Even before incubation - eggs can loose moisture. Have a good look at the aircells once the chickens are done hatching. 55 % humidity if they look about the right size - or 60 - 65% if they are too large - they will still have a few weeks for you to try to get things right again.

Back
Top Bottom