Adding ducks to my chicken coop

chdkgu

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 1, 2014
I have 8 chickens that we have had since last June. They were given to us by a friend and 6 of them are 1 year old, the other 2 are 2 & 3 years old. I added 7 Khaki Campbell ducks that are 6 weeks old and quite large to the coop today. Now my chickens won't go back in the coop. Will they eventually get brave enough to go in? For the past 2 days I had the ducks in a wire pen in the yard. The chickens did some investigating, but were not very interested in the ducks. Everyone is free range during the day. The chickens have not laid an egg today, because they don't wan to go in the coop, and the ducks are not wondering out of the coop as they are just getting used to the move out of the brooder box and outdoor pen into the real coop.

Mine acted the same way but I start with a pen inside the coop. When I first put the empty pen inside the coop my ducks didn't want to go in the coop. I had to encourage them. A couple of days of the empty pen inside the coop they began to get used to that and would go in and out freely. I then added my new birds to the pen inside the coop for introductions. This has worked well for me when adding new birds. The "old" birds do know that something is different but with some encouragement they go in and begin to get used to it. At least mine did.

The way we added 3 ducks to our chicken coop (15 birds) was putting the ducks in a crate in the coop for about a week and let then loose at night and all was good.

Back
Top Bottom