adding eggs AFTER day one

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by evieshotchicks, Feb 1, 2013.

1. evieshotchicks

evieshotchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2013
    Central Jersey
    Yesterday was DAY ONE of my incubating and I just collected another egg that I would like to add to same incubator. I am concerned as to what I do with that extra egg on DAY 18 when I add extra water and go into LOCK DOWN stage because that extra egg is only on day 17... thanks
  2. brownfoxfarm

brownfoxfarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2012
    Rural NW Illinois
    Well. I've had broody hens get off the nest to have a bite to eat and another hen sneaks a fresh egg into the nest. Momma stays setting for about 3 days after the first egg hatches, so if the extra egg was laid within 3 days of her going broody, then those late eggs get the chance to hatch & very often do.

SO.... I would just stop turning it with the others when you do the lock down. As I doubt the momma hen does anything different with her "late eggs" than she does with those that where there when she started setting.

Joyce Brandon
  3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    I add eggs up to 3 days after, with no problems.
  4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I've set eggs over a 2 day period under my broody hens with no problems. As brownfoxfarm said, the hen will sit for up to 3 days after the chicks started hatching. Good luck with your hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by