Adding more and more eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CherGatto, Jan 19, 2012.

1. CherGatto

CherGatto New Egg

Jan 19, 2012
    We have 10 brooding boxes, but all of my hens prefer one. I have one chicken who has begun sitting, but every day the other chickens add to her nest. I think soon she will become overwhelmed and not be able to adequately sit on her own. Any suggestions???

2. chick007

chick007 secretagent chickenman

Sep 25, 2011
    anchorage, alaska
    mark the first eggs and start taking the ones that are added each day out to use or sell. or you can move a few to another box and maybe someone else might go broody. it all depends on what you are wanting. if she were my large fowl, barred rocks, i would let her sit on a clutch of about ten and see what happens. mine are for eggs, so i break them of broodiness, as i live in town and limited space.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh, yes, you have to nip that in the bud right away. Decide how many you want to let her brood and remove the rest of the eggs. Mark the ones you want her to keep, and every day pull out any new eggs.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I so wish I could have a roo. Then if one went broody I could deal with what you are dealing with....

5. chick007

chick007 secretagent chickenman

Sep 25, 2011
    anchorage, alaska
    you dont have to have a rooster to have a broody hen

6. amberflea

amberflea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2010
    Central WI
    Correct, BUT would do no good to have a hen go broody as none would be fertile and hatch...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by