Adding more chicks/pullets to my flock

Thank you! I’m so glad I came here

I'm speaking from experience.

My in-town flock a number of years ago was mixed so when I moved to this property I got a mixed flock. But then I fell in love with the Blue Australorps that I'd gotten because the Delawares I'd gone for didn't come in and it was already late in the summer for chick purchases.

They turned out to be almost exactly what I like most about chickens. Completely by accident.

I suggest adding chicks next year. There are many advantages to a multi-age flock that I'm discovering now in my 3rd year on this property.

Among others, after having chickens for a year you might find that you really LOVE a specific breed and want to focus on them.
Or try different breeds in addition to what you have. And have a rainbow basket of eggs which your son will love.

I'm speaking from experience.

My in-town flock a number of years ago was mixed so when I moved to this property I got a mixed flock. But then I fell in love with the Blue Australorps that I'd gotten because the Delawares I'd gone for didn't come in and it was already late in the summer for chick purchases.

They turned out to be almost exactly what I like most about chickens. Completely by accident.
I am wanting to get a black Australorp. I’ve currently got some Americaunas/EE, a buff Orpington, a fuzzy foot one I think might be a Brahma or Cochin mix. Oh and I’ve got a micro chicken. I love my Orpington and my EE. My anericauna is a little skittish. And I hate my fluffy footed boy. He’s such a bully. He’s going to the feed store on Monday to the rooster relocation program. My other boy is sweet. I’m sad to see him go. I said to my husband what if he never crows? Can we keep him?

His favorite eggs at the store are the contented hen eggs. They come in all the colors. That would be so much fun for him.
I have a very mixed flock (Plymouth Rock, Brahma, Cochin, Orpingtons, Silkies, Sebright, Naked Neck, Spitzhauben, EEs, OE, Crested Cream Legbar, Leghorns, Polish), but I def have my favorite breeds - Plymouth Rock, Brahma, and Spitzhauben, for sure. Although I used to have rescued Australorp and Golden Comet, and they were fantastic birds. As soon as the EEs, OE, and CCL start laying, I'll have colorful eggs.

I have a mixed breed and ages flock. I would recommend it. The easiest way to add chicks without fuss is to wait for one of your chickens to go broody and then let her do the work. You can still handle them and have calm friendly chickens, but Momma handles all the hard stuff and integrates them into the flock.
I have two Cochins that I bought at 12 weeks and it took me about 6 months to get them friendly, but they are quite gentle now. I have learned that my favorite hens are barred rocks.
Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom