Adding more pullets

I have around 300 birds right now and I know how you feel. I have one that is special because she has a crossed beak and should have been culled as a chick but was missed. She is almost 3 years old now so I can't.
Gladys
IMG_20170104_172023.jpg

And had to take on 6 7 week old pullets
:lol::gig chicken math has begun!!

They're not going to fit in that crate for long, but nice find-it will come in handy.
Would be better if you could section off part of the run and make it weather proof or if not weather prof more space for them to run around. Not sure your coop is big enough for 14 birds.

Here's some tips on....
Integration Basics:

It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better.
Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.

I would give them a bit longer to get accustomed to one another than a week. Your younger pullets are still small. Your older pullets will give them a hard time due to their size.
You will need lots of roosting space and places where the new girls can get out of the line of sight of the older girls. Lots of space period.
Put out extra feeders and waterers as well.
What size is your main coop/run in feet x feet? Do you let your older pullets out to range?
I recently integrated a group of 3 slightly older pullets in with my group of 8 pullets and one cockerel. It went smooth as silk but I let them take the time they needed. The cockerel was actually a big help as he kept his girls in line around the new group. You can read the highlights of how I did it here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/well-dang-that-was-easy.1281000/
Good luck.

Then what I would do is get a large dog crate or cage and put the younger ones in the dog cage. Put the cage near the coop or in the coop so that they are interacting but also keeping safe. (Make sure both sets of birds have food and water) let them be like this for week.
Make sure you let the caged birds out too so they don’t get sick and bored.

Then what I would do is get a large dog crate or cage and put the younger ones in the dog cage. Put the cage near the coop or in the coop so that they are interacting but also keeping safe. (Make sure both sets of birds have food and water) let them be like this for week.
Make sure you let the caged birds out too so they don’t get sick and bored.
Thank you so much that’s what I’ll do

I would give them a bit longer to get accustomed to one another than a week. Your younger pullets are still small. Your older pullets will give them a hard time due to their size.
You will need lots of roosting space and places where the new girls can get out of the line of sight of the older girls. Lots of space period.
Put out extra feeders and waterers as well.
What size is your main coop/run in feet x feet? Do you let your older pullets out to range?
I recently integrated a group of 3 slightly older pullets in with my group of 8 pullets and one cockerel. It went smooth as silk but I let them take the time they needed. The cockerel was actually a big help as he kept his girls in line around the new group. You can read the highlights of how I did it here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/well-dang-that-was-easy.1281000/
Good luck.
Thank you so much that’s what I’ll do
I agree with @DobieLover too. Let me rephrase: do this for a week and then let them be together to see how it goes for a day. If they are fine then keep an eye on them while they are together. If not keep them in the cage for a bit longer

Back
Top Bottom