Adding Muscovy ducks to my flock

EngeFamilyFarms

Chirping
Aug 29, 2018
Michigan
i just traded a few of my meat chickens for 4 Muscovy hens and a drake. We have 7 chickens and 3 khaki Campbell ducks (2 hens and a drake). My question is can I just add the musvoveys to the run? Will there be fighting between the drakes? The muscovies are super sweet and the lady I got them from puts her picked on chickens in with them and they protect the injured bird.

I’d start out with a look don’t touch pen next to your established ducks. Muscovy are laid back and this time of year if your in the north aren’t mating so it would be a gamble to put a Scovy drake in with KC drake he will feel very territorial towards your Muscovys. Let them live side by side for a while and if you free range try that first. That way conflicts can be avoided with supervision from you.

D833EF16-8DE0-4235-845D-0E9C18A24AFE.jpeg
I have to take more pictures. We put them all together today and all went smoothly minus the big Muscovy drake pinning our KC DRAKE IN THE POOL AND BIT SOME FEATHERS OUT! I chased them off and everyone seems to be getting along well. Our Red Cross sex links were a bit aggressive with the new ducks but the big Muscovy drake seems to be keeping the peace.

My muscovy male doesn't think my runner male is a threat. If anything, he just ignores Duckter, even if Duckter is mating with his females. Duckter is innocuous and about as clueless as it gets. I mean... Duckter mounts Cupcake while Cupcake is mounting one of his Muscovy girls... It's ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom