Adding new babies to flock

hmgg94

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 8, 2014
Hi, I'm relatively new to chickens. I have a flock of 22 chickens about seven months old. We think they might have been exposed to disease. We also have two different batches of about 25 chicks each waiting to be added to the first in a few weeks to a few months. My question is what do I need to do about adding the younger ones to the flock? I've read some things online about birds carrying diseases. Does that mean I can't ever add them?

Welcome to our forum!

Probably the best thing to do if you suspect disease is to have them tested, perhaps by a local ag college, or your state vet. You could also check with your county extension agent, or just ask your regular vet who would do testing. You cannot be sure which disease it is without testing.

Mayy of these diseases are never cured and are passed to the rest of the flock, sometimes also through the egg to the next generation. If you keep the flock, it should be a closed flock, meaning no birds or hatching eggs ever leave your property. Some people choose to cull the flock and start over, after disinfection. Whatever you do, the new chicks should absolutely be quarantined from the present flock until you know what you are dealing with.

Here is a quick rundown of common diseases:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Back
Top Bottom