Adding new chickens to the flock, need suggestions!

XxMingirlxX

Songster
9 Years
Dec 12, 2013
Lancashire, England
Hello,
About three months ago a fox got into my coop and killed four of my girls, the remaining to were in shock and injured for a while. We have now sorted out the predator problem. They have fully recovered now so I'd like suggestions on quirky chickens that don't need a huge amount of running space ( we have a fair sized run but our garden isn't huge). We keep our birds as pets so don't need proficient layers or meat birds. Our current two hens are a White star named Zazzles and an ex battery hen named Babs. We lost two polish but they were brilliant companions so are considering more, we are also thinking about an Appenzeller or an araucana or another exbattery for Babs. We don't want the girls to feel intimidated after their ordeal so quite docile birds would be great.
Would appreciate any suggestions!

So sorry to hear about your babies. We lost three to coyotes last year.

Consider Orpingtons. Our Buffs are sweethearts. They are very docile and very friendly. They jump into our laps (even sit on my wife's head). Not skittish and eggcellent layers.

They get along with all the others great.

Good luck to ya.

You're welcome!

3 Orps (one in her lap) and 1 Black Australorp. Might look into those too. She's a sweet thing...

Back
Top Bottom