Adding new chickens to the flock

PaigeDL

Chirping
Jun 17, 2019
Springville, AL
I'm trying to add two three month old chicks to two different existing flocks. When I add the two youngsters to their new flocks, the older hens are pecking them and the youngsters are scared and run. I would to if that were me too!! Should I leave them in there and expect they will all settle down or ease them in to the flocks by leaving them in a few hours everyday?

Three month old are very young to add to adult chickens, separate them.
If you can separate them with chicken wire in a way they are close but they can't reach, and the youngsters sleep in a different place " a small box or similar" that will be a good start.

Thank you. They have been in a pen next to the other flocks for two or three weeks . When should I add them? This is a picture of one of the youngsters.

Attachments

• 461336F4-401D-46E8-A6D0-67747BDD0FCB.jpeg
    461336F4-401D-46E8-A6D0-67747BDD0FCB.jpeg
    506.4 KB · Views: 8
Some people do integrate their chicks that young, but I never do, unless there is a mama hen with them. What I do is keep an adjacent run, with its own coop, for the purpose of integration and separation when needed. That way they get to know each other through the fence first. Then I watch very closely on actual integration day and take them back out if there is a lot of pecking, then try again in a few days or a week. I generally wait until my chicks are pretty close to full sized before I even attempt integration, and by that time they will have spent a couple months in the adjacent run.

Obstacles and space are key regardless of what age you're integrating them at. It's impossible to tell from your photo, but were there hiding spots and multiple feeders available for the youngsters to use when you did try letting them mingle?

I believe in doing early integration but you're past that point, so waiting until they're big enough to stand up for themselves may be the best bet right now as long as you don't mind managing the separate set ups.

Obstacles and space are key regardless of what age you're integrating them at. It's impossible to tell from your photo, but were there hiding spots and multiple feeders available for the youngsters to use when you did try letting them mingle?
Ditto Dat^^^

Pics of the entire coop and run would help @PaigeDL .
This might too, lots of ideas for 'hiding' spaces:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

I believe in doing early integration but you're past that point, so waiting until they're big enough to stand up for themselves may be the best bet right now as long as you don't mind managing the separate set ups.
Yup!
4-6 weeks had worked best for me, and many others.
Need the right set up tho.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/integrating-new-birds-at-4-weeks-old.72603/

Oh, and....Welcome to BYC! @PaigeDL
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-9-23_8-46-26.png

Back
Top Bottom