adding new chickens

pechara

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 8, 2011
Gig Harbor, WA
I'm new to chickens and are raising my first flock. My wife and I originally got 8 but one turned out to be a roo and we sent him to a farm. Few days ago we decided to add 3 more for a total of 10.
I got the 3 new birds (RIR) from a local farmer who sells via creagslist. My birds are about 8-9 weeks old. These guys are a little younger and a little smaller. Thought I would share the experience so far:

Day 1: I put the 3 new birds in a pet carrier and placed them in the run with the others. At first the necks got long and everyone got quiet. They all ran up to see whats in the box. After about 10 min I let them out and everyone surrounded them to see whats new. It was interesting to see that there were no attacks or anything. They did peck at the feet a little because the RIR have human like flesh that also looks like worms that I have been giving my girls. Up to this point I have not really been able to tell who the "leader" of the group is but in about 10 min 2 of the larger pullets started beating on the younger, newer members. I did not interfere and and just watched. The new ones ended up under the coop in a corner with the face looking away for the rest of the day. That evening they all went into the coop and slept together. The new birds just slept farther from the group.

Day 2: One of the new birds is very confident and wants to get closer to the group. Again, it seems to me that all the birds have accepted the new comers except the 2 or 3 dominant birds. If they get anywhere near the new ones, they chase and peck. One of the new birds is peeping all the time. It seems its missing its old friends. I did set up multiple feeding stations and put water in 3 different locations so the little ones can eat. That evening they all slept together one one roost inside the coop.

Day 3: By this point most are integrated. Only one mother hen is picking on just the smallest of the 3 new ones. they do allow them to hang out in the best sunny spots and I even saw some of the new birds eating with the old. The little one is peeping less, but she is still upset. That night I saw the most aggressive hen sleeping next to the smallest new one on the roost.

This morning, day 4: I opened the pop door and everyone rushed out into the run. I put out the extra feeders and all birds are now eating along side of each other. There is still a feeling in the run that the 3 new ones are strangers. It's a bit cool thins morning (low 40's, high 30s) all the birds are out int he run hanging out really close to each other. The 3 new RIR's are doing their own thing on the other side of the coop. But at least they are allowed to eat.

Question: Is the Rode Island Red breed more docile and human friendly then the Ameuricanas or Black Astrolorps? I seem to have a hard time catching and holding the 2 while the Rode Island Reds cant wait to be held. They even come up and sit on my shoe waiting to be picked up.

Another Question: Is there a reason other then missing their old family that the young RIR would be chirping or peeping all the time? IT only stops when its asleep in the coop late at night. This morning its not quite as vocal as it was in the past few days, but she is still very vocal compared to all the other 9 birds. Thanks all for all the advice and knowlege base that I have been able to discover on this board. Its a great support system for chicken addicts. Especially new ones like me.

It sounds like the introduction went fairly smoothly. RIR are generally nice birds, but there are always individual differences. As far as the peeping, if you can't find another physical reason for it and she is eating and moving normally, then she might be adjusting to the new flock. Others might have further suggestions.

Yes, it seems everything is ok. I checked her out closely when I bought her and then again this morning and all seems well. She is just extremely shy? Constantly clinching to one of her sisters and almost hiding under her. It seems like a adjustment because at the farm she was very confident running around.

It is nice to hear about your experience. RIR has received some bad rap. In my limited experience, they are curious, lively and middle-of-the-road friendly. They are the best producers as well. Hard to beat that combination.

Back
Top Bottom