Adding new chicks to broody's clutch?

Shugercube

Songster
Apr 17, 2022
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
I have a broody that's hatched 5 out of her clutch of 10 so far. I also have some babies that are hatching in the incubator. Is it better to keep them separate in a brooder, or is it ok to tuck them under her? Is it pretty certain she'd accept them since she already has babies the same age? I don't want to try and then have them get hurt or worse.

Also, I currently have her and my other broody sectioned off in a small section of the coop. It's about 11sq feet. I was worried the others would pick on the chicks and so I closed it off. Now I'm not sure if that was a good idea or not! Should I open it up and trust mom's instincts and ability to protect them, or keep them separated for a while? They of course have their own food and water access so that's not an issue. One of my roosters desperately wants in with them, and I'm not sure if it's a good or bad thing that he's trying to get in 😅 This isn't my first time hatching, but it's my first time with a mama hen and not an incubator and introducing them slowly when they're older.

Sounds reasonable! Yes she would take them, but i highly recommend doing it at night when the hen is sleepy and can't see. She won't be paying attention to the amount of chicks, just protecting them, and then she will wake up and figure some more hatched.

For thr closed off section, i do agree with doing that, and i think that in about a week introduce them when they can keep up with the mama better. If you think you would rather do it now, yes, the hen has the strength to protect them just fine. I have one right now so protective, not only are all the chickens afraid of her, so is my dog!

The rooster intrusion, i think it is just new, and his hens are probably worried and he just wants to reassure them. Or he could think the broody hen is trapped and wants to help her. Either way, i bet he has good intentions. If you want, in a week, just before you introduce them, carefully show him the area. See how he reacts, but be careful.

Sounds reasonable! Yes she would take them, but i highly recommend doing it at night when the hen is sleepy and can't see. She won't be paying attention to the amount of chicks, just protecting them, and then she will wake up and figure some more hatched.

For thr closed off section, i do agree with doing that, and i think that in about a week introduce them when they can keep up with the mama better. If you think you would rather do it now, yes, the hen has the strength to protect them just fine. I have one right now so protective, not only are all the chickens afraid of her, so is my dog!

The rooster intrusion, i think it is just new, and his hens are probably worried and he just wants to reassure them. Or he could think the broody hen is trapped and wants to help her. Either way, i bet he has good intentions. If you want, in a week, just before you introduce them, carefully show him the area. See how he reacts, but be careful.
Thank you! Is it safe to do it straight away once they're fluffed up, or should I wait until they're eating/drinking first?

Back
Top Bottom