Adding new chicks to coop with nest boxes ?

kyron4

Chirping
Apr 9, 2019
Northern Indiana
In a few more weeks my chicks will be ready to join the adult chickens in the coop. I can't block off the nest boxes because the other hens use them, so how do I keep the new ones from sleeping/pooping in the boxes ? -thanks

Why do you assume the new chicks will sleep in the nest boxes??? :idunno
I don't have a pix of your coop's interior, but assume there is a roost bar. Your current adult chickens use it. Sometimes newcomers are not welcomed at first. I would install a second roost bar, lower than your current one, but still higher than nesting boxes. Your new chickens would be staying on that one,,,,,,, until they would get the privilege to use the top roost.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Because the chickens I have now use to when they first were put in the coop and I had to block them off until they started laying and broke them of the habit..

How old are the chicks?
How do you plan on integrating?
How many roosts do you have?
Would help to see pics of your coop inside and out.

Best to have a lower and separate roost for new birds.
You can always cover nests an hour before roost time,
then uncover when you lock of after dark or at first light in the morning.

Why do you assume the new chicks will sleep in the nest boxes??? :idunno
I don't have a pix of your coop's interior, but assume there is a roost bar. Your current adult chickens use it. Sometimes newcomers are not welcomed at first. I would install a second roost bar, lower than your current one, but still higher than nesting boxes. Your new chickens would be staying on that one,,,,,,, until they would get the privilege to use the top roost.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:
:thumbsup

This is the way I handled it. I integrate chicks every year. Until they mature mine don't roost on the main roosts with the adults so them sleeping in nest boxes was a problem. So I installed this juvenile roost, lower than and horizontally separated from the main roosts but higher than the nests. It's a horrible design as the top of the nests should be level to make a good droppings board but one of those cases where I needed to tweak my coop. Hopefully you have enough room you can do something like this.

Juvenile Roost.JPG

On very rare occasions, like once every three or four years, one will still try to sleep in a nest. After dark I toss her on the coop floor, let her worry about finding a place to sleep. Usually doing this once or twice convinces them the nest is not really a safe place to sleep.

I've not had a problem with chicks trying to sleep in the boxes (actually they didn't notice them even after they reached POL!) but easiest method is to cover them at dusk and then go back in at night and uncover them. That way the boxes are available first thing in the morning. Cover can be something as simple as a piece of cardboard.

Back
Top Bottom