Adding new chicks to older chickens

Guisso14

In the Brooder
Sep 23, 2018
So I already had 4 chickens and they are close to a year old now.

I recently got 3 free chicks for free and they are currently a little over 2 months old.

What is the best way to add the new chicks to the small flock.

Right now the new chicks are in the run in a dog crate with a metal cage on the front so they interact with each other but the chicks can run to safety if need be.

Should I just keep them like this for a whole then try to let the chicks out slowly or just open the dog crate so the chicks can run back in but the bigger girls cant fit in?
20190803_201724.jpg
20190803_201736.jpg
20190803_201749.jpg

Just making sure I understand the setup correctly. So the chicks are able to come in and out of the crate right now? Or do you mean they can interact with the safety of a fence between them, but otherwise can't mingle?

You are nearly doubling your flock. So think might work, or this might not work. It might be too tight of fit.

I would let your full grown birds out of the coop and run. Then let the chicks be locked on the inside, letting them explore the coop and the run. And I might do that for a day or two, letting the big girls in towards dark, letting the chicks back into their safety zone.

After a couple of days of this, I would let them all outside the coop/run, then let them back into the coop, opening the chick spot. After a day or two, I would lock up the chick safety zone, expecting them to go in the coop.

Mrs K

That's tight space for 7 birds..and tight space for the 3 new ones.

Here's some tips on....
Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better.
Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.

Just making sure I understand the setup correctly. So the chicks are able to come in and out of the crate right now? Or do you mean they can interact with the safety of a fence between them, but otherwise can't mingle?
They are in the dog crate with a small metal cage o the front of it so they can come out of the dog crate a bit but dont have full access to the run and coop

You are nearly doubling your flock. So think might work, or this might not work. It might be too tight of fit.

I would let your full grown birds out of the coop and run. Then let the chicks be locked on the inside, letting them explore the coop and the run. And I might do that for a day or two, letting the big girls in towards dark, letting the chicks back into their safety zone.

After a couple of days of this, I would let them all outside the coop/run, then let them back into the coop, opening the chick spot. After a day or two, I would lock up the chick safety zone, expecting them to go in the coop.

Mrs K
The run is 14 feet by 5 feet and the coop is 4feet by 5 feet with multiple roosts, feeding areas and water areas. It is also about 5.5 feet tall with roosts everywhere. There is enough space for this many. I saw people posts on here where they had twice as many in a run/coop this size.

I cant let my chickens free range as I live in a city with rules, so I guess I'll just keep them close the way I do now for a week or so and then slowly give them a chance to intermingle.

Thanks

That's tight space for 7 birds..and tight space for the 3 new ones.

Here's some tips on....
Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better.
Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.
Thanks. This is all stuff I will try and some I already have in place

Bare minimum space in run, coop is below minimum...
...and integration works better with more space.
I'm thinking you're going to see some blood shed.
Best of cLuck.
x2.
I cringe a little every time I see people stuffing as many birds as possible in the quoted spacing requirements, simply because they read that it was okay to do so. I always state that they are MINIMUMS and that more is always better.
@Guisso14, you are likely going to have problems integrating those chicks. Ironically, my 2 WLHs have been hell on wheels to my new group of 14 pullets and 1 cockerel. And I have 17.7 sq ft/bird available to them in the coop/run combo and they have about a 1/4 - 1/3 acre electronetted pen available to them dawn to dusk. The younger flock escape the WLHs without incident and have plenty of places to stay out of the way. Unfortunately, your setup does not allow for that.

I'm done looking for help on this site. People are way to judgy and not very helpful at all. Spent more time criticizing my setup then helping. I'm done!

Back
Top Bottom