Adding new chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chowda1802, Aug 29, 2016.

1. chowda1802

chowda1802 New Egg

Aug 29, 2016
    I have been told I can add 1 day old chicks to 3 week old chicks. I think bad idea, but can it work?

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    It's a wide age and size spread, but you can certainly try it.

Follow the protocol for adding any new chickens to a flock, that is to partition them off side by side for a few days until everyone becomes acquainted. Then remove the partition and stand by to referee if necessary.

It's customary for a dominant chick of the older group to greet the new ones with a peck on the head. Beyond that, be prepared to administer a poke on the back of any bully who persists in going after the smalls.

It will help to drop a meal worm into their midst as you let the two groups mingle as it can help diffuse the focus on the small ones by introducing something much more interesting.

It will most likely work out since three-week olds are still young enough that the pecking order social mandates haven't yet been awakened.

3. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I do it pretty frequently (well, 2-3 day old since I keep them separate until I know they are eating and drinking and ambulating okay). I have found 5 weeks to be the cutoff in most instances.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by